Friday 5 July 2019

#Glastonbury2019 How it was for me.

The Glastonbury Festival for 2019 was a long time coming and now it is over for another year. I am just back from 5 nights at Glasto in tents with 6 mates. I feel drained and ? - elated ? As ever Glastonbury was uniquely special - so laid back - but so intense - a simple - but complex emotional amazing rollercoaster ride. I remain in awe - so chuffed and so privileged to have been part of it. Am I being over the top - maybe but it is how it has felt - feels right now sat at my desk - ha!

This is an account of my Glasto because everyone's Glasto experience will be different - personal to them - who they saw - what they did - what worked for them - what didn't. Glastonbury is so large - so diverse - so original - you are taken on a unique journey even if you start and finish each day in the same place. Just on that even within our small group there are sizeable differences. Kev ( Bob Harris) and Rich have been going to Glasto for years. Kev loves finding new bands - niche bands and covers a lot of ground. He is hard core. Kev has come up with some great recommendations of bands to have a look at. Rich and Rog are perhaps more traditionalists. Rich particularly seems to prefer smaller scale older performers who have a memorable back catalogue. Geoff, Steve and Mike go where the mood takes them. Steve particularly likes to be down the front. That is a tough gig but has its rewards of course. I am into big  stadium rock and roll - 3 guitars and drums do it for me. I have an aversion for one man and a banjo - ha!. I also love the dance stuff. It takes all sorts of course and Glasto offers it all.

Just before I talk about the music I want to mention a couple of other things.

Firstly the guys I go with. Several have been mates for years - back to school days. It would be worth going to Glasto just to be with them - even if there wasn't any music. It is impossible for me to describe how priceless it is to exist with them in tents for 5 days. The humour, the self mocking, the mickey taking, the banter, the people watching, the situational stuff, the history, the laughs that were commonplace made being there just fantastic. Just a few for posterity - what goes on in Rich's tent - Rommel, Roger's shoes - (Rog cracks me up when he starts ripping into me - usually about my clothes - farmers friend or eat - fish!), Kev (Bob Harris) and bargain hunt (Steptoe), Mike and the height tax and his navigation skills, Geoff and the folding camp bed, filling the kettle and the boy band, Steve and the spectacle of his portable shower - Mike on his knees, Hari Krishna and the comb. Just fantastic. How much a belly laugh - we certainly had our monies worth!

The second comment is the way Michael and Emily Eavis run Glastonbury. They have a wonderful ethos. They are not commercial megalomaniacs or high handed dictators. For instance - unlike many festivals you can bring your own booze and food and consume it wherever you want. It is brilliant how they have prevented ticket resale and touting. Of course tickets are hard to come by because of demand but allocation is fair - everybody has an equal chance at an equal price. This year there was a focus on use of plastic. They made a decision to stop the sale of single us plastic bottles on site - a positive step forward. But they were not draconian. There was still a lot of waste at Glasto - still a lot of gear left at the end - too much - but a seed has been sown and I am sure they will gradually take people with their gentle lead and the festival will be the better for it. So much better that way. They treat festival goers with respect and there is an overwhelming Glasto way of tolerance and reasonableness. They are such good people.

The final point - watching Glasto on the TV. I watched a bit when I got home - a great perspective. But I have to say it is nothing like being there. First of all the big stage view is rarely that clear. TV pictures sanitise and emphasis becomes perhaps more on the visual than the music. In the real it is the opposite. The sound is different. The biggest difference of course is being in the audience rather than looking at pictures of the vast crowds. It is totally something else. Sometimes the crowd can be a nuisance but mainly it is just incredible to be there all revelling in the music - singing and dancing (moving!) and interacting along together. It is just outstanding when it jells - and it so often does. Now and again you get an overwhelming feeling of wow - I am here - can this be real - a feeling of good fortune and privilege. It brings tears to your eyes - and having discussed it with the lads I know I am not unique in feeling this. It is so special.

OK the music - who did I see?

We arrived early Wednesday afternoon in the sun. We set up camp in our usual field - and had a chilled beer or two before heading out for a walk around early evening. Rich had a plan and we ended up - I am not sure where - but we were in a bar with a good stage. We are right at the front - low key - and The New York Brass Band come on. (they are from Yorkshire - no doubt from the great tradition of colliery bands.) What a set. It was really tremendous - brilliant interaction with the audience. They were there for fun - didn't take anything too seriously. The bandleader introduced his daughter on vocals and she put down her trumpet. They really set the standard for the rest of the week. See them if you can. I came away thinking that was pure Glasto - unexpected gold.

Thursday still not an official day (no main stage acts) we are in the Greenpeace Park for "Beans on Toast. One guy with a guitar. There is a big crowd. He is a poet - lyrics are clear. He is of the left. He has a sense of humour. His message was direct and gritty and well observed. His politics are not mine but I respect him - he seems authentic. Having said that I had my fill and he won't be on my list to see again - ha!.

Later we end up in Strummerville to see amongst others Frank Turner doing a solo acoustic set. Frank came with a big billing. Kev, Rich and Rog really rate him. I want to be kind to my mates! I thought he was pretentious. Where Beans on Toast was authentic I read Frank as not. (Eton and LSE educated - investment banking - titled family). He even went on about how he was just back from Africa  (Sierra Leone) where he had been feeding starving babies. Kev says I have him totally wrong - he is a man of the people. I might well have - but actually I found him deeply irritating and I couldn't get out of there quick enough - ha ha! Each to his own - sorry boys!

Finally we get back to Avalon Fields to see Keston Cobblers Club again. Rog loves them. They are a small status high energy folk band. Great fun. There was a wonderful little cameo. For one of the songs Jules? the lovely sister of the main brother/sister duo says there will be a dance competition for the next number with a prize. She chooses a couple out of the audience as winners (the man was on the shoulders of the lady!) and invite them on the stage. The lady is presented with a box and asked to open it and read out what it says to the audience. You guessed it! It says will you marry me? It was so lovely - such a genuine surprise and so well done. The bride to be was speechless. The young guy who was quite shy was beaming when she said yes. It was joyous - a tear in everyone's eye. We felt compelled to kiss the bride to be and shake the betrotheds hand. Brilliant. Rog later arranged for a photo with us and Jules. A great laugh xxxx

And then Friday. Glasto starts proper. Gently fuelled with cider (we took 80 litres of the real stuff) we head to The Other Stage for the opening big stage act. The Vaccines. Great start - lots of jumping around - a big crowd in the sun. Later we watch the Wombats - I really liked their first album. Understandably perhaps they want to show case more of their newer stuff. It fell a bit flat for me but I enjoyed it.

To the Pyramid stage for Bastille. Huge crowd. They deliver. Great. We then split. Amazingly - ha -  Kev, Rich and Rog off to see Frank Turner and his band after Sheryl Crowe! Say no more. It is very hot.

Friday is a big day for me. I am going to see one of my long time fav bands live for the first time. Interpol. I get to John Peel early and find some shade - drink some cider and listen first to Aurora. I describe her as ethereal - a Norwegian Kate Bush - but without the power. She is sweet. Then Pale Waves. I didn't know them. Their first time at Glasto. Their lead vocalist and guitarist is a feisty rock and roll young lady with attitude. Really enjoyed them. A proper band. They will make it big I think. And then Interpol. Everything I hoped for and expected. They are a real class NY Indie band. A fantastic set. I cannot understand why they are not Pyramid headliners - but then what do I know - ha ha!

Saturday - brilliant weather to get very hot. We head for Pyramid for the Proclaimers. Everyone knows their songs.(I'm gonna be (500 miles). A great way to start. People watching around the Mandela bar a bonus. Amazing what the ladies don't wear when its hot - lol! ( for once we have a half serious discussion. For instance we were dining at Hari Krishna (nothing to do with the free nosh - ha!) In the queue is a young woman with a startling figure and all she had on top was a couple of small heart shapes stuck to her nipples. Now here is the question - should we be seen looking or not - ha !? The consensus was yes - but I feel uneasy. I am not a voyeur and I am sure she was not trying to get the attention of blokes of our age - ha!)

After the Proclaimers Kev mentions Gerry Cinammon. I make a case to see him too because he is on at The John Peel stage and it will be "quieter and cooler up there". We head up the hill. It is jam packed! He obviously has a massive following. We stood in the sun - enjoyed most of his set - before wilting.

Clashfinder is tricky this Saturday. Eventually we take up residence in The Pyramid. Anne Marie and then Hozier - neither my bag. Then the controversial Janet Jackson. A big production - mass dancers, backing singers etc. JJ constantly had wind blowing through her hair (for effect!). There was an antipathy to her. It wasn't storming although it was high energy. It seemed a bit synthetic - over staged - a poor man's Michael and of course there is a negativity towards MJ now to say the least. Mixed feelings.

I am in the midst of a dilemma. Killers are headlining. I know it will be great but I have seen them 3 times before. I really want to see the Courteeners - I have missed them before. There is a clash. I head for The Other Stage. I watch Sigrid. She is an engaging young woman. I like her. Then Courteeners. They are what I really like - 3 guitars and a drummer. The place rocks - and I really get into it. Brilliant. Good decision. Now what to do? The closer is Chemical Brothers. The lead from  Courteeners said a must watch - they will change your life! I know it would be amazing but it has been a long hot day. I head back to Avalon to meet up with my mates. Hobo Jones and then Just Two Mother's 80's disco. It doesn't quite happen. Rog and I head back for a 1 am early night!

And then it is Sunday - the final day. It is going to be a good one. It is a day to take up residence for The Pyramid stage. Some of the lads take chairs.

On the way over Kev and I stop off at The Other stage to see Slaves. What a great decision - right up there as a highlight of this years Glasto for me. The 2 guys give it everything - the energy is fantastic. It is real - it is raw - it is talented. Towards the end of the set they played a slow tender number. We were blown away. It was so unexpected - so poignant. Kev and I and the audience all reacted the same. We were stunned. We had tears in our eyes. I don't know how they did it. I said to Kev I am going to give you a hug mate. We laughed about it but bloody hell - it was brilliant to watch them.

We get over to The Pyramid. The atmosphere is that lovely Sunday buzz. Everyone there is there for the right reasons - to enjoy being at Glasto. It feels wonderful to be there.

Years and Years are on. They were perfect in the sun. The lead guy makes a speech from the heart about being gay. It was moving. Everyone applauds.

David Attenborough makes an impromptu speech about global warming and the state of the planet. It was understated. The crowd are riveted and full of respect in a way they are not for some of the shouty campaigners given a voice at Glastonbury. What an amazing life he has led.

And then it is Kylie in the veterans slot. Ok for some hardcore Glasto supporters Kylie is not cool. But Kylie is fun - and she has never done anyone any harm. She was perfect for the occasion. Like the vast majority we loved her set. She went down a bomb. We were "spinning around". Well done Emily. Well done Kylie. Great stuff.

Miley Cyrus and Vampire Weekend passed me by a bit. I was chatting, dozing and taking on the cider maybe - but I have good thoughts from being there.

Then the big one for me. I really rate The Cure but had never seen them live. I love their music. It was a 2 hour set as the closing headliners. I shall love them for ever. It was fantastic. I was totally into it for two hours often with eyes closed just taking in the music. What a place to be - what an emotional privilege.

But alas and inevitably Glasto comes to an end for another year - or at least the music does. It has been amazing.

There is talk of next year already - the 50th Glastonbury anniversary. We all really want to go. It will be amazing if we can get tickets again. If it doesn't happen it will be a real shame - but I have my memories of three and for that I will always be extremely grateful. Thank you again Kev and Rich for making it happen for us. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A few snaps but mainly it is seared in the memory bank.



Hari Krishna bistro and the comb

Early days setting up camp

Interpol in John Peel. Fantastic.


Where is Rog?
Keston Cobblers Club and the proposal at the Avalon Café Stage


New York Brass Band (from Yorkshire)

No comments:

Post a Comment