Sunday 19 June 2016

#Marathon - "monkey on my back" - PT2

In my blog 17th June #Marathon Monkeyonmyback PT1 - I explained the why I am going to have a go at running a marathon again - my first ever marathon.

(My background - just turned 62 and pretty fit for my age (touchwood) - exercise regularly - did a half marathon about 18 months ago in 2 1/2 hrs and haven't done much running since.)

First week in - I have done 5 short runs of about two miles each. I prefer early mornings to get them in the bank for the day. They have gone well - I can do it but I am slow. What else can I say. I finish stronger than I start - I could go further easily. I have enjoyed it. My mind is clear and purposeful. It is so motivating to have a target or a goal - but of course time is the test.

My strategy is to gradually ease myself in - get used to running - I have plenty of time to build up to Paris in April 2017. It is a marathon run - but more pointedly - a marathon in dogged training required.

One thought I had while running this morning. Yesterday my son George helped me lift the rudder off my boat - so I can check it out. We carried it up the pontoon. It started off quite easy to lift but of course the longer you go the heavier and the more difficult the weight becomes to bear. I stand at 14stone 7lbs this morning -  all beef and muscle - ha ha!! I start thinking about the extra energy required to carry every excess pound around a 26 mile marathon course that will take 5 hours plus to complete. I am sure by running regularly my body shape will change somewhat. I am not going to diet as such - but losing a stone or even half a stone would have a massive effect and I am further encouraged by that thought. It does make you think about the burden obese people are putting on their bodies and how big a limiter it must be on playing out their daily lives.

1 comment:

  1. yummy. I like the sound of each and every lb. How tall are you David? I'm 5.5.

    ReplyDelete