Tuesday 24 January 2017

#marathon "monkeyonmyback" - PT6 Farnborough Winter Half Marathon

On Sunday I ran the Farnborough Winter Half Marathon with Jo and about 2000 other people. This was the first staging of the Farnborough Winter Half Marathon and I entered as part of my training program aimed at running my first (and last) marathon - the Paris Marathon on 9th April. (see previous monkeyonmyback blogs).

First of all a bit about my running - and then a bit about the event itself.

On 13th January I ran 10 miles with Jo - and I felt it went pretty well and I finished strongly. I then puzzled what I should do running wise between then and the Farnborough run. What would be optimum to peak on the day? I have found I lose optimum running fitness quickly - so I felt I had to keep running - but at the same time my legs are constantly aching - so how much rest would be right. In the end I ran 4 miles on 16th and 17th and 1.4 miles on 19th and 21st. I am not sure I got this right - because in the last 3 miles of Farnborough my legs pretty much seized and my finish was diabolical. (but there might have been another reason - going too fast initially).

The Farnborough run started at 9am on a freezing morning - literally -6 at one point while driving - but it was a beautiful bright sunny morning. Such an early start required an early rise - before 6am in our case because we had to allow 80 minutes for the drive. An early start presents challenges in terms of preparation - normal ablutions routines etc and breakfast of course. The other issue for me and all the runners - was what to wear given the cold - but with the knowledge you can warm up rapidly when you start running and can therefore be problematically over dressed.

The answer I guess is to try and keep things as "normal" as possible - so coffee/tea and bananas for me. Toilet was more problematic. There were porta loos on site - the problem was it was so cold the flushing mechanisms were not working - no need to say more! From a running kit point of view I have been a late convert to lycra. It is the answer - light - warm - easy to wear and I didn't over heat. These things are far more important than appearance. Some people were definitely over dressed and a number were disposing of clothes on route. Hopefully this will not be an issue in Paris!

Based on the 10 mile training run I did, I set a loose target of 2.20. (previously I would have been very happy with that). Jo set hers at 2.10. The Farnborough course was described as predominantly flat and with the extra lift from being in a mass organized event with spectators - I felt positive on the start.

Despite it not being premeditated or being initially conscious of it I set off at a pace faster than my norm - being carried along by the pack so to speak - and because I felt I was going ok. I ran the first 5 miles in just under 47 minutes and I started calculating a better time in my head. Was this a mistake given what happened in the last 3 miles? Gradually I naturally began to slow - and was particularly thrown by the off road forest track at around 6 miles - because the path was stony and the ground frozen and it was like running on uneven cobbles and this definitely didn't help my knees. However I was still going well and had to be pleased.

At around 10 miles however my legs really started to stiffen - if not cramping. My knees were increasingly painful under my kneecaps. Gradually I slowed. Around this point I was passed by the sub 2.15 banner and could not hang on - it was physically not possible - it was not really mind over matter. Some people use the walk and run tactic. It might be effective - but it is not for me. I kept running. Not stopping is the ONLY thing that keeps me going. This is the great thing about the challenge of running. Between 11 and 12 miles there was a detour down to a roundabout with runners coming up the other side. Psychologically this is quite hard. It was especially hard because coming back was up a hill to the 12 mile point. This was a low point for me - I was feeling disappointed and sorry for myself and very conscious of runners passing me. There was a particularly memorable moment - I was running at the bottom of the hill on my own. A young policeman was out of his car - and he said to me very deliberately - he could see I was struggling I think - he said "well done sir - you should be proud of yourself ". I will admit I choked on that - almost a tear. I should feel proud - getting closer to 63 - and not really a running pedigree. It helped. Anyway I got home. The spectators were great - genuinely very supportive and encouraging. Many of them were race runners who finished long before - the winner was 1 hour 12 minutes - well over an hour faster than me! I think they looked on in pity - ha! - not really - they have been there - runners respect runners for the effort they are putting in whatever their level. The last 1/4 mile was very well spectated and then turn into the finish under the frame of the Airship Hangar - with the music and razmataz and a mixture of real relief - hidden tears and smiles and hugs! 2 hours 21 minutes. Jo was there right at the finish to hold me up. She had run a fantastic 2 hours 4 minutes and apart from some aching hips was full of beans - and quite rightly so. A great effort.

On reflection I have to be pleased if for no other reason than I finished. Thoughts of faster times were nonsense or at least hit the buffers hard. Did I pay at the end for going too fast at the beginning? The answer is I do not know. I suspect it was more to do with the lead up preparation. However pacing is a big issue especially in a marathon - so I will have to be careful of that. One thing to remind myself - my objective is to run the marathon course without stopping and this is far more important to me than getting home in a particular time. My final thought is I have to be ultra positive despite the reality - I was out on my legs at the end of 13 miles and I will be required to do double that on April 9th. This does not seem possible - but there is training to be done - and it is possible because millions of people have done it and will continue to do it. I must be one of them to get this "monkeyoffmyback". Next February 19th - the Bramley 20 miles (what a dreadful thought!) and I will be working at it.

A few observations about the Farnborough Winter Half Marathon itself. It was exceptionally well organized. It was a large event with atmosphere - 2000 runners - but not so massive as to present crowding issues. It was definitely a runners run. It was not a "fun" runners event. I would say the standard was pretty high - no one in fancy dress or messing around. They were earnest in PB terms. The course was fair and as I have said people around the course and particularly the marshals were genuinely encouraging and meaningfully supportive. Excellent.

A final thought. It was great at the end as it always is when you put a lot of effort into something. Jo and I got home - feeling quietly satisfied and happy. Can a hot sweet tea ever taste so good. A hot bath - more tea - some Old Speckled Hen - a wonderful roast beef dinner that really hit the spot - (thank you Jo) - and then some lounging around in front of the TV. Everything seemed spectacularly lovely - because there was this wonderful feeling of having earned it and finally feeling sated and smug. Hoorah - bring on the next one!

Knees hurting
Hard going
Glad its the finishing line coming up.

The start and finish point under the Airship Hangar Farnborough












No comments:

Post a Comment