Wednesday 31 January 2018

#AmericanEmbassyLondon

Just a short blog - maybe just a bit of tittle tattle - ha!

A couple of weeks ago President Trump announced he was not going to come to London to participate in the opening celebrations for the new US Embassy at Nine Elms. His reason - he was embarrassed by the new embassy which he tweeted as follows :

"Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"




First of all - the previous US embassy was in Grosvenor Square - in perhaps London's most prestigious area - Mayfair. I agree with Trump - it was a building of real status in a superb location consummate with what many would see as the US status in the world - and particularly to represent what is oft referred to - the USA UK "special relationship". 

Yesterday I had to visit the new US embassy at Nine Elms to obtain a visa to visit the US - so I am in a position to comment on the new building - ha!

The area of London Nine Elms is south of the River Thames. Nine Elms was / is most known for the location of London's largest fruit and veg market "New Covent Garden Market". It is a utilitarian area - and I would best describe the new US Embassy as on a "ring road" - an inner bypass - a far cry from the green and beautiful Grovesnor Square. The area definitely does not have the status of the former embassy site and it is certainly not as well served by transport connections. (The nearest tube - Vauxhall - is a 10 minute walk away).

However I guess the explanation lies in utility - not status. The new building is purpose built - so it should be fit for purpose - and I suspect easier to keep secure ( a very important consideration). On that point there were quite a number of special police armed with machine guns evident.

I attach a couple of photos I have taken of the exterior of the new building- admittedly close. Please make your own mind up about it's visual status. I have also downloaded one from the north of the river - it does look more impressive I think.

Just a quick comment on the visa I was seeking. A tourist visa would not do for my purpose. I need a higher status one as I will be arriving in Seattle by sailing boat. (The Chinese requirement - for the port of departure - Qingdao - is similar to the US - a visa and substantial fee). The procedure for getting the visa required supplying comprehensive personal information in the form of an online application followed by a subsequent face to face interview (the procedure at the embassy takes about 3 hours). It struck me by contrast how casual we are in the UK with who comes to our country - with the nonsense of free movement of people. I whole heartedly want a Brexit that gives us full control of our borders again with an ability through visas and passport control to monitor and control in purpose, character and numbers - who can come to our country.

The old - US Embassy Grovesnor Square - now sold to a Middle East business to become a luxury hotel.


The new - Nine Elms - south of the River Thames





No comments:

Post a Comment