Sunday 12 August 2018

#IsleofWight hot summer of 2018

We have had a very hot summer on the Isle of Wight this year - exceptionally so. It has been so hot I have spent most of my time on the coast - maybe swimming in the sea at Quay Rocks, Seaview 3 or 4 times a day. However now and again I get out for a walk in the "interior"! These mob pictures were taken from the obelisk above the Gat Cliff - Godshill. It is not on the tourist trail - so it is unspoilt. The views as you can see are panoramic - but be prepared for blustery winds almost regardless of prevailing conditions down on the coast. I am always campaigning against proposals to develop (build houses) the Island - but I have to admit it evidently remains mainly agricultural when looking down on it. It does look parched though.

I have also been out on my boat a lot - a great pleasure - but you have to be philosophical when sailing - especially when it is fair - next to no wind - ha! However on the bright side - when waiting for the breeze I often fish and haven't been short of mackerel this year (despite the fishermen grumbling they have been hard to find this summer.) One day I was down between Langstone and Chichester and massive shoals of mackerel - literally on the surface - were all around me. It is an incredible sight and especially noise as they move towards the boat. It is like thousands of dominoes falling over - or a mini tsunami coming at you - but it is fish!

Across to Sandown Bay - the chalk Culver headland prominent

a large flock of sheep emerging in the left fore ground

Looking west. Much of the inner Island remains agricultural.




Appledurcombe and Wroxall nestled middle ground.

 


 


Early morning on Gold Crest heading east to Chichester. Forts on the horizon. Not much wind though!



No comments:

Post a Comment