Sunday 23 June 2019

#etc

It is early Saturday morning and I am just back from a jog to Ryde. I leave for Glasto on Tuesday so there is a lot to do. My intention is to have a clean living weekend in the knowledge that 5 days under canvas at the Festival will be anything but - ha!

Anyway I haven't really got time available for too much blogging - but it is a sort of discipline and a few things came to mind while out there this morning that I would like to commit to paper so to speak - albeit in precis format. Here goes - it is pretty random :
  • Diesel vehicle pollution. Part of my run is along the Seaview Duvver. It is by the sea. Passing vehicles are rare. The air is clean. However when it happens (it happened this morning) - boy do you get a whiff of diesel fumes. I am not talking about clapped out vehicles - any vehicle. I guess the fact the air is clean makes the introduction of fumes a stark contrast - as a few grains of salt in your coffee! Goodness knows what we are breathing in urban areas - but the sad thing is it is less apparent and as a consequence possibly less of an issue for many. Roll on electrification!
  • Mark Field - the Government Minister that manhandled a woman gate crashing a speech at the Mansion House to make a Climate Change Protest. Here is the video https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48717002 . What happened has proved highly controversial. What would you have done. It is too dismissive to say it was only a peaceful demonstration. It is easy with hindsight. The debate is highly politized and he has as many supporters as detractors. 
  • The Woman's Football World Cup.The BBC are promoting it big time - screening matches prime time. Should they be complimented or condemned. Why complimented - they are promoting equality. Why condemned - it is a decision based on political correctness rather than fuelled by established public interest. Is it social engineering? Woman's football has a minority following at the present time. That might change - I guess that is the point.
  • The Tory Leadership and who will be the next Prime Minister. Johnson or Hunt - a dubious choice. I want Johnson - am I really saying that - can he really be our Prime Minister!? I have no doubt he is not suitable and it will end in tears. However he gets my support because he is not afraid of his own shadow and he is an optimist. We need someone to say we are a great country and not fall over in a politically correct neurosis every time the liberal elite say boo. Hunt is clever - but he is a snake. He is the safe establishment figure. I know who I would prefer to led by - and certainly have a few laughs on the way. I am sure Boris will win. He has got to the point where the more remainers, the left , the establishment and liberal elites try to undermine him the more determined his electors will be to give him their vote. I guess it is similar to the Trump phenomenon. Supporting Boris is a way of putting up 2 fingers to all those who are trying to rob the majority of their democratically won Brexit decision and this pretty much all it comes down to.
  • My brother Rob posted a fantastic article written by Andy Shaw for Spectator Life in 2016. When I read it I thought WOW - how inciteful - how perceptive - how intelligent - it summarises my views much more succinctly than I can do myself. I commend it to you - here is the link - https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/a-handy-guide-to-left-wing-people-for-the-under-10s/

A handy guide to Left-wing people for the under 10s

28 October 2016



  • Finally - remember to look on the bright side. My son James goes to the IOW Running Club every Thursday. Recently I have been thinking - as I am there I might as well do a run rather than go to the pub. This Thursday was the Club Championship 10k. While there are prizes for the fastest mainly it is running against your nominated time - with emphasis on running for all - not the Olympics! I did it. Out of about 70 runners I was close to last - which was annoying not because I was close to last but because it was such a grind - and while I kept going it felt like a battle all the way. But a quick reflection - I did it - I can do it - and I should be thankful for that. I was pleased to put the effort in and everyone at the Club are really nice - really supportive. They call me Papa Shoulder - which says it all I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment