Friday 31 January 2020

#peoplecanseethesamethingindifferentways see Henri Toulouse-Lautrec


It is Brexit day. A coincidence.

A couple of days ago I was dealing with a situation where two sides were at odds. They were looking at the same situation and totally seeing different things. As often is the case the matter was amicably resolved by each eventually appreciating the others point of view - or at least being able to demonstrate they could see where each other were coming from and their views had been taken into account when making the decision. (which is often a vital break through) - (and not achieved in the Brexit debate which became and probably remains almost totally polarised).

Back to my story! When I was puzzling over how to play out my arbiters role I had a flash of inspiration. I would print off a copy of Henri Toulouse-Lautrec's sketch below and use it to make a point!

What do you see?




I remember a tutor using this picture on a course I did light years ago. The moral of the story - people can see things in different ways!

This picture was projected onto a big screen. Hands up who sees a stylish young lady. Half the class put their hands in the air and half the class shouted - it's and old woman (crone)!

If you study the picture of course both are there. (if you can't find both go the end!)

There is a much wider debate to have here. People genuinely can see things in different ways. However we know from life - (not least from the Brexit debate) - we can make a conscious - deliberate - often cynical - oft disingenuous interpretation to fit our pre conceived agenda - to fit our position - our argument!. Too often this is politics !!

Anyway I posted this because I remember the lesson fondly. It made me smile using it.

PS I can sense my darling daughter being totally exasperated reading this. She will be thinking dad you have never listened to the pro remain arguments in the Brexit debate - your mind was closed - you refused to see the other picture. My answer darling is I always understood (saw) the remain arguments - I just didn't agree with them (or more specifically they did not outweigh the advantages of leaving) and that is a different thing - ha ha! xxxx

Can you see both - the young woman's jaw line is the old crones big nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment