Saturday 9 July 2022

#LondonMarathon2022 me and the Alzheimer Society

It is an obvious rule - do not post on social media with alcohol in your veins. It is also a life experience that booze can affect your judgement. On the other hand booze can be the truth drug and it can offer clarity.

So I am writing and posting this statement. I might regret it - even delete it in the morning but there we are. I want to commit publicly as part of the process.

Over a year ago - in a moment of madness I applied for a place in the London Marathon. Why? I have watched my son James run it live and every year for many years I have watched the television coverage. I have never watched it and not respected and probably envied everyone running it. It brings emotion. I have entered the ballot quite a few times and never been successful.

Like most people maybe - I always wanted to run a marathon - especially the London Marathon - what an event! However the time was never right and now time was running out. As London was not available it felt like now or never and I ran the 2017 Paris Marathon. It was an amazingly hot day. My only goal was not to stop. I ran it in a very slow time by most standards but I was 63 - not ideally built for long distance running ha ha! - but I did it. It brings tears to my eyes now to think about it. I have seared in my memory the Black Eyed Peas song "Tonight is going to be a good night" - played at the start and literally thinking will I make it. It was a momentous proud - significant - weekend for me. xxx

Anyway with those sort of feelings in mind I entered the London Marathon again and at the same time offered to run for The Alzheimer Society if they had a charity place available should I not get in the main ballot. I knew it was probably a daft thing to do then - but I also knew running and finishing the London Marathon would be epic. Heart and head. Stupid optimism ha!

Quite a few months ago I was messaged - I had not been successful with my London Marathon application and a few days later the Alzheimer's Society messaged me to say I was close but not selected to run for them. Mixed feelings. Maybe relief.

Yesterday I was walking in the West Wight. I get a mob call out of the blue. It is the Alzheimer's Society. Someone has dropped out. Would I like to run for them in the London Marathon 2022 - October 2nd.

Immediately I know I should say no. Running it might be even dafter now. Running it with such a short lead in would be mad and unrealistic. Training through the summer heat! I have pondered for 24 hours. I can run a 10k now probably so I am not totally at a standing start. It literally will be my last chance. I have a London Marathon place. I can do some training. It will be a big challenge but right now I feel all the better for that.

I have decided to put down the £100 deposit to secure the place. My head has lost out. Practicalities have lost out. My heart has won. I cannot resist the prospect of running the London Marathon and the drug type euphoria that is on offer if I can get over the line. It has the potential to be amazing with bells on - an emotional journey - a big personal challenge - something good for the soul - and of course funds for the Alzheimer's charity.

Some people will understand some won't. Words are easy. Words are cheap. My objective is to run around without stopping. The time it will take is not important to me.

xxxxx

Ps - it is now 5.30 am the morning after. I am going to go out for a run. 😩😄😁👍

Further Ps - it is just after 7am Sunday 10/7. I have just completed the around the boating lake run - which is 4 miles. It was a lovely morning and I ran pain free in my knees (touchwood). The whole run I was thinking about the Marathon. 6.5 times what I did just now. Put like that it and right now it seems possible. I am motivated. I didn't have my Garmin watch today but I will get it sorted and probably find out about Strava to record how it is going.

Finally I am running for the Alzheimer's charity. I have never done a charity run before - really dislike asking for sponsorship - and I am not going to do it now. However at some point in September if I can show my knees and everything else can take the training - I will set up a Just Giving page - and any support you can give will be going to a worthy cause. Thank you xxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment