Saturday 27 January 2024

#UK why is it going so badly wrong? PT1 (Motivation)

Back from my early morning bike ride. Thinking in overdrive - ha!

A common theme is so much is going wrong in the UK. High taxes - but at the same time our infrastructure is creaking - social services are breaking down - the NHS is in crisis - crimes are not being investigated - their is a pension time-bomb pending - a housing shortage - and to top it all worrying breakdown in social cohesion. I could go on.

The question is WHY IS IT GOING SO BADLY WRONG ?

I am going to give my opinion based on my lived life experience. Rather than write a thesis (even if I had the time - ha!) I have decided to set out my thoughts in soundbites so to speak. Hopefully they will fill a logical order.

Here is the first.

Too many people in our society are demotivated. They have lost their self respect - their self esteem is fragile. They are unhappy and unfulfilled.

Why ? In my opinion it has a lot to do with the fact that they are not taking responsibility for their own lives. They have come to rely on other people to do the hard yards for them. They are sucking up the nanny state and politicians and many institutions to their shame are providing it for them.

To put it another way - the welfare state safety net is too high - government directives too many - expectation of government both unrealistic and unsustainable. Consequently when anything goes wrong the common retort is what are the government going to do about it ? A victim mentality pervades. It is someone else's fault - someone else's responsibility. To make it worse - to compound the problem - a perceived right has developed in our culture - a right not to be "offended". There is a reluctance to say things as they really are. There is no such thing as tough love anymore. Indulgence and virtue signalling has become the nations default.

I could easily give examples but I don't think it is necessary. Just listen to any news programme - not least from the BBC.

Next time I will focus on how we might be able to change things - increase motivation - create some energy and positivity in our society for the good of us all.

3 comments:

  1. Can I ask if you were involved with UKIP/Brexit back in the day? I think that we met at Shanklin Theatre when Nigel was there. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Don. No that was not me although I was and am very pro Brexit. I have cancelled my membership of the Tory party as they are not offering Conservative policies. I am donating to Reform as the only moderate right party.

    ReplyDelete