Sunday, 4 October 2026

#basicplanning 3 steps

The long days of summer meant sitting over a keyboard had less attraction. There is a bit more motivation now as we enter autumn.

In my blogs I have sometimes written about useful strategies I have picked up over the years - not rocket science - but practical things that have helped me - and I pass them on.

This is another such blog. I am going to describe a strategy that I use almost without thinking about it, on a daily basis. I wouldn't be surprised if most people use it too without referring to it as strategy or even appreciating that they are using it. It is also - depending on the level and the time frame - a strategy I use on a very conscious basis. I might sit down, give hours thinking time to it and often commit the results to paper for communication, as an aide memoir and for self discipline.

Having said that it is also evident just through casual observation and people watching that some people/families/businesses struggle to make coherent objective plans and life as a result can be problematic or disappointing/stressful with wasted time or unfulfilled dreams. (Others might willfully disagree with a planning approach because they want to take life as it comes - which is fair enough if it works for them).

So here it is - THE THREE STEPS APPROACH. It asks these questions.

1) ask yourself (analyse) Where am I now  ?

2) ask yourself  Where do I want to be and when ?

3) plan How you are going to get there ?

This approach is often used in financial planning for instance ie 3) I want to change my car in three years time and I think it will cost £15000. 1) I have £5k in the bank. 2) I don't want to borrow so I will need to save £3500 a year approx. I will give up beer and need to get a part time job etc etc.

Your plan needs to be realistic and objective and subject to periodic review because circumstances and goals can change. It might be a staggered plan - a plan within a plan.

The final thing I would offer is this is a tool - not a stick to beat yourself with. It might be sticking to your plan is the right thing to do and a certain level of pressure might be inevitable even desirable. But remember it is a working document only not a legally binding contract with yourself. Don't stress yourself out too much would be my advice. Maybe the goal needs reappraising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment