Sunday 26 July 2015

#Travel

Years ago I read a great book written by Alain de Botton the philosopher. It was called Art of Travel.

The opening was/is "Few things are as exciting as the idea of travelling somewhere else. But the reality of travel seldom matches our daydreams."

This statement makes me really grin. It could be so true.

My approach - I do get a great deal from planning a trip although it is a very practical thing to do as well. I do get a great deal of satisfaction from making it happen. Sometimes hard-core travel is a bit like running a marathon - the real pleasure comes from getting to the finish and looking back on what you have done.

Another chapter in A de B's book was about who you travel with. A contributor describes a scene - wonderful hilltop restaurant looking out over the Tuscan countryside - an incredible menu on offer - on holiday with a beautiful woman. Perfect! But she had a very bad habit that got on his nerves. She always wanted to try his food as well as her own. They had an argument. It ruined everything. His point however wonderful the setting - being there with the wrong person can override and spoil everything - so be careful who you travel with - a good point.

I have three trips in my diary. I am going to set out my approach and describe how they unfold in my blogs below.

The trips are :-

1) Tenerife - all inclusive week long pool side holiday with one of my brothers and one of my sons in October - to include getting to the top of Mt Teide.

2) India - backpacking on my own through November - mainly travelling by train.

3) Cuba - cycling for 3 weeks from mid march 2016 with my 2 brothers.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment