Friday 30 October 2015

#India November 2015 PT2

On 5/8/2015 I posted a blog outlining my planned trip to India. The time has now arrived. I fly out at 10am on November 1st and return on 28th - so effectively a 4 week visit. I have done quite a lot of preparation for my trip over the last 3 months - the wonders of the internet.

As with other big trips I have done I am sat here with a sense of anticipation and I have to admit a degree of unease - might even say nervousness. I guess the unease has its roots in concerns about security and perhaps more so on this occasion - health and wellbeing. I am travelling alone. I am backpacking. I am staying in budget hostels or have arranged homestays. I am travelling across India by train - 12 separate train journeys of which 6 are overnight. I want to get into the thick of it and see some real India.

Inevitably I have talked to some people about my plans or people have referred to it. I would say half have said I have always wanted to go to India - the other half have said "you must be mad!"

Clearly India is a challenging place to visit - heat, crowds, sanitation and food - and of course like anywhere their is a threat of casual violence. My biggest concern is health - stomach bugs - mosquitos - and dengue fever - but this is not new to me. The precautions I take:
  • good base inoculations including rabies.
  • I wear long sleeves and long trousers and usually a cap and neck scarf.
  • I don't take malaria tablets but do use repellent. I have been given an Indian brand which apparently is very effective - Odemus or Odemms.
  • I have a good quality silk liner that I sleep in and have a mosquito head net if necessary.
  • You have to use bottled water in India but I also use Oasis water purification tablets and have had no side effects over long trips.
  • I love to eat street food but care is necessary of course. I avoid salads and probably meat - and ice in normal situations.
That is the down sides. What about the up sides. Why go?

Well I think back to my late dear parents - my mum never went abroad - my dad just to Germany to do national service. It was not in our lifestyle or certainly budget to go abroad. A common term today - not on our radar. Apart from a school trip to France I don't think I went abroad until I was 20. But as with many people opportunities have gradually opened up and I feel a considerable obligation to take them because my parents made a lot of sacrifices for us. I think travel is a wonderful thing to do - but acknowledge too - it is not everyone's cup of tea - and people like doing different things.

What I particularly like is planning a trip and then completing it. In the 4 weeks I am away in India I know where I will/should be - trains booked - hostels booked - and a good number of the things I want to see pre determined. I do it this way for two reasons - one is I think it is more secure for a lone backpacker and the second is I think it is more efficient in the sense that planning and booking takes time - time wasted in those precious 4 weeks if not done before. The down side - I guess likely felt by the purist traveller - is I am not going with the flow (as the mood takes me) but you can't be everywhere see everything and I will be ecstatic - ha! if my trip works out as planned.

So what am I looking for over the next 4 weeks. Well I want to experience the sights and sounds and smells of India. I want to meet some of the local people - travel with them - watch them - smile at them - observe their lifestyles. I want to form a view of India for myself - learn some more about it - feel where it is going - that will be amazing.

Early on 2nd I arrive in Kolcata (Calcutta) in West Bengal. I am looking forward to walking over the Howrah Bridge over the Ganges and see the markets, see the Belur Math Shrine and visit Mother Theresas Home among other things.

I will post some more as I go.



No comments:

Post a Comment