Thursday 21 January 2016

#SouthAfrica The Three Tenners Part 1

The Three Tenners (me and my brothers Rob and Mike) are going further afield this time. We are going to South Africa for 3 weeks from mid March.

We were looking for somewhere to go to coincide with Rob's big "six O". After a fair bit of research and debate we plumped for South Africa. Truthfully we had initially ruled it out because of the security risks but having looked at it and taken advice we have come to the conclusion that while there are risks of course - risks are everywhere - and the rewards are obvious - South Africa seems a fantastic country.

Broadly us three brothers like doing the same things. The Three Tenners have done walks together and with some wild camping (see earlier blogs) - and we have had annual family camping holidays down in Cornwall for many years. I climbed Kilimanjaro with Mike a while back - so I know we will be good - we just need to keep Rob on the straight and narrow! All three of us are strong personalities but it seems to work - ha! There will be additional challenges in South Africa however - ha again! To start off it is 3 weeks. Not just that it will be 3 weeks in very close proximity. We are travelling by hire car - and sharing hostel accommodation! Our families think it is hilarious!

Currently Mike is very busy working and Rob is keen to defer so I have been putting together a plan for us. Both bruvs seem happy to go along with what I decide and while that does carry some responsibility I am not complaining (between you and me I prefer it this way - ha!). I have kept them informed with the sort of things I have in mind and all I have had back is enthusiastic yesses so that is great and I shall keep ploughing on!

My broad approach has been the same as the approach I have used when travelling alone. Basically I like to plan well ahead and get things in place. As I have said before this might not be the purest way of travelling - as there is a degree of inflexibility built in. Some people like to go where the mood takes them of course but I have found this can be very inefficient and sometimes potentially dangerous. I also enjoy the process of planning and I think it adds to the rewards that accrue from a trip away.

The other factor is costs. We do not need luxury - we are not aspiring to that. We want to see some of SA - to get out and do some walking etc - so the plan is to move around. We are using backpacking hostels. I have done a lot of this - it is fine - a preference in fact and really hammers the cost down. On the accommodation we could book shared dormitories but private rooms are better - a bit more private and there is the benefit of added security for your belongings. However three is an odd number. Sometimes a designated family room has the bed space but usually it involves a double bed. As much as we might love each other sharing a bed with either of my brothers has no appeal whatsoever and I am sure they feel the same! The solution has been to book one twin room and one in the dorm and we will alternate as necessary (I suspect I will be keen on the dorm knowing the snoring etc that my brothers are capable of!)

So the plan at this stage (flights are booked and paid for - Qatar Airlines in the end) :-

Fly to Johannesburg and gradually move west down the coast to eventually get to Cape Town (from where we will fly back.) We looked at the options for travelling around SA. Trains are not an option in SA. Buses might be - but certainly for 3 of us and based on what we want to do a car hire seems best. The intention is to leave the hostels early in the morning and get to our new base around mid day. That means there should be no night driving which from what I have read can be more problematic from a security point of view.

So :-

3 nights - Johannesburg - planning to visit Soweto and maybe get to the top of the highest building in Africa.

4 nights - Northern Drakensburg Mountains - for some proper trekking. I hope to get to Tugela Falls - the second highest in the world and the highest in Africa. We might also be able to have a day visiting Lesotho.

1 night Durban - for a look around.

3 nights - the Wild Coast National Park - for hiking, bike riding swimming and fishing.

2 nights Cintsa for more of the same.

1 night Port Elizabeth - for sightseeing

3 nights Wilderness National Park for walking etc.

5 nights Cape Town - planning to get to The Cape of Good Hope the Horn of Africa, maybe Robben Island and the top of Table Mountain on Rob's 60th birthday (that would be great!)

So that is the plan - the hostels are booked (total cost each £250) - and it won't be long before we are off. I will post again as things develop and will blog the trip as I go in the way I have done before.


No comments:

Post a Comment