Thursday 7 January 2016

#Yoga

A couple of weeks ago I enrolled in a yoga class and had my first group lesson this morning.

Why did I join? Well I have always done a lot of impact and aerobic sport and continue to do so. In a life time of sport I have had no significant injuries - (touchwood) - and my knees despite the pounding they have taken have continued to hold up well.

However recently I damaged a knee ligament. The hospital advised a regime of rest with some careful movement - and for the first time for as long as I can remember my exercise activity had to take an enforced sideline. Quite quickly the sharp pain began to subside and I was able to cycle and swim but a lot of things I like to do were restricted.

The consequence of this was I began to stiffen up - particularly around my knees - and I suppose more than anything else this has to be a consequence of my age. I became aware that it would be a mistake to dive back into playing squash for instance and my body - (reflecting its age) probably now needs a bit more consideration - ha!

All joking aside I have been aware that you cannot take fitness for granted and how quickly you can get onto a downward slope if you have a setback. Certainly once you have had an injury and an enforced lay off - I think you are very likely to suffer further setbacks unless you take some particular care.

I have chosen yoga to help me - something that is low impact - and will help with suppleness, stretching and balance - all crucial things to be aware of in the ageing process.

I really enjoyed this mornings session. The teacher was gentle with us. It was not a strenuous class as apparently some can be. Some of the stretches and balances I could do ok - others  were more testing. However we used blocks to assist where necessary and the teacher placed great emphasis on the principle listening to what your body is telling you.

Half way through the session I thought - possibly this is too slow - too deliberate - but in the end I felt something quite positive. I am sure it was beneficial - and believe it or not - just after one gentle session I feel I am moving more freely. I also enjoyed the quiet and peace and an overlay of mysticism - although there was nothing pretentious in this.

I feel yoga is something that could very well have a place in my life (it is very contrasting) and I am looking forward to next week. I will report further developments. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it but be carful with your history you don't break wind in-front of the class..very easy to do..!

    ReplyDelete