Monday 25 July 2016

#Afterlife personal thoughts only

I am writing this short blog to share my blunt (and simple) thoughts - on the basis it might be helpful/reassuring to others with a similar thought patterns or wresting with the same issues/dilemmas.

In a nutshell I am an atheist because I have never got beyond what my head tells me. Darwin's incontrovertible Theory  of Evolution and Survival of the Fittest - and The Chaos theory (such as I understand it) leave no scope for divine intervention in our daily lives. I mean no disrespect to anyone's religion - I am almost envious of them for being able to believe what they believe - but Creationism for instance (in my opinion) - cannot stand up to objective scientific evaluation against Darwin's observational and fossil evidence - so I cannot believe it.

However this is where I am. I would like to believe in a true god. I would like to believe somebody is watching over us. I would like to believe there is an after life - because it would be comforting - it would be reassuring and it would certainly be convenient. For me however - and sadly perhaps - I have never come close to an epiphany - but I have wondered at nature of course - but never come close to believing this has been planned and created by an all knowing God and he is above - looking down on us and looking after us - and there is a life beyond this life.

For myself I am pretty sure I will never be converted by words - and struggle with the whole edifice of established religions and their hierarchies and certainties and their assertions and control.

I was discussing this with my brother Rob while on holiday. He said quite seriously that I should read science fiction (which I have never done). This would open my mind to the thought of things like other dimensions - other possible realities - such things as parallel universes and open my mind up a bit to let other possibilities in. This made me smile - he might be on to something. - perhaps I am too grounded - too objective - ha! It would not be a huge step to be agnostic!

Hopefully an epiphany will come to me. I do not expect it to happen. I will continue to live my simple life (Buddhist tendencies) on the basis that we have one life and this is it but I will leave my mind as open as I can - and maybe something will bring about a change - especially as my heart is willing I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment