Friday 30 December 2016

#marathon "monkeyonmyback" - PT5

It is now December 30th. I ran 7 miles earlier this morning in cold and mist - but it was still and I have to say despite the toil - beautiful. Overall the run was good - I am still very slow - and the first 3 miles were a bit uncomfortable - aches and pains (one goes another starts - ha!). For a short period in the middle I actually felt good - comfortable - enjoying the feeling - running by my standard quite freely - and then a bit more of a grind. But I finished well - definitely could have run further if I had to - so that is positive. It is positive.

It was in June I wrote PT1 of #marathon - "monkey on my back". I entered to run my first ever marathon in Paris April 9th 2017 (from more or less a standing start - from the couch would be harsh - ha!).

Since then I have run 3 or 4 times a week. Mainly short distances - but I have run 2 equivalent half marathons. In November I was travelling so effectively a month out without any running. This was a setback for my run training - actually a big setback - a loss of momentum and running fitness definitely. As I have said before in an earlier blog - you lose condition more quickly as you get older. Christmas too does not exactly help a monk like existence!. I have not gone mad in terms of excess and we had short runs on Christmas Eve and 27th (memorably with my daughter Victoria) but overall I went out today not exactly feeling like Mo Farah ( I bottled it yesterday - didn't go at all - so today was a must.)

So time to take stock going into the new year and with April 9th and Paris looming fast. Well after 6 months of running I could say I am not much better than when I started. But actually this is not true. What is true is I have not had a breakthrough - a eureka moment where I felt I had suddenly cracked it. I know from the time when I did a spell of running in my mid thirties and from my sporting life generally that eureka moments do not happen. The reality is improvements are almost imperceptible - you slowly improve even if you do not always feel like it. I ran ok today and as I said I could have kept going - even though I can't seem to go faster. I don't think it would have made a major difference if I did 10 miles.

My thinking therefore is I am on track. My objective is simple. All I want to do is get "themonkeyoffmyback"! To do that I have to run a marathon without stopping and to be satisfied to myself that I have done it as well as I reasonably can taking into consideration my age and the fact that I have left it rather late in the day. Time is no longer important to me - not stopping and finishing is. If I can get under 5 hours I will be super chuffed - because right now it doesn't feel like it is possible. I have decided not to clock watch - I am just going to do my best. Writing that feels emotional - definitely confronting - because running is hardwork - there is nowhere to hide - and you also have in the back of your head at nearer 63 than 62 - can my body take it - so mega mega fingers crossed and touchwood - hug a tree - ha!.

I have entered the Farnborough Half Marathon with Jo on 22nd January and the Bramley 20 on 19th Februrary (with my son James who is training for the London Marathon.) as part preparation.

So it is no messing about from here on in. I have 15 weeks and I am going to give it a good shot. This will include running most days - and a bit more thinking about beer intake and diet. Some weight will come off which should help. Once the monkey is off my back I will be able to revert to being a fun runner - ha!

Off for a Christmas 3 miler with Victoria and James



No comments:

Post a Comment