Wednesday 18 October 2017

#TallShipsTrust to Gran Canaria

I am in blogging mode today - tying up loose ends.

Over the last few months I have written blogs about my sail training with Clipper (Round the World). In March 2018 I join Clipper yacht Dare to Lead at Qingdao (east coast of China) to sail across the North Pacific to Seattle USA as part of the race crew. Dare to Lead is one of 12 70' Clipper Yachts racing around the world. The overall race is divided into 8 race legs and started in August from Liverpool. Leg 1 was to Uruguay. Leg 2 is nearing completion at Cape Town. Next leg - Leg 3 will be across the Southern Ocean to Australia etc. The leg I am on is Leg 6.

While my training has been comprehensive I felt I would benefit from some more experience before tackling the mighty Pacific. With this in mind I have signed up as one of 12 crew with the Tall Ships Trust sailing a 72' Challenger Yacht (very similar to Dare to Lead) from Gosport to Gran Canaria. We leave next week and 16 days have been allotted. The actual sailing is very unlikely to take 16 days but the timetable allows flexibility to find a suitable weather window to cross the formidable Bay of Biscay.

I am hoping the voyage will allow me to test my gear, practice my sailing skills (or otherwise) and deal with the inevitable sea sickness challenge. It should be good fun - but a serious off shore sailing challenge - especially at this time of year.

My intention is to keep a log - which will eventually be the basis for a blog - but that will not be posted for a few weeks I wouldn't think.

Here is a link to the Tall Ships web site. http://tallships.org/sail-with-us/ When I have the detail I will post the boat number etc that will allow you to track my boats progress in live time if you are interested.

When I get to Grand Canaria I will be meeting up with son James and brother Mike for a few days of R & R -  all-inclusive pool side sun. A big smile! xx

One of 4 Tall Ships Challenger Yachts - which I understand were formerly BT Challenge Yachts used by Chay Blyth


No comments:

Post a Comment