Monday 20 November 2017

#Gran Canaria a short break "all inclusive" holiday

I am just back from sailing as one of the crew on a 70' yacht from Portsmouth to Gran Canaria. I will report on the actual voyage in my next blog.

This blog mainly covers a week I spent on Gran Canaria after the voyage with my son James and brother Mike who flew out to join me for some rest and recuperation such as it was needed. I did spend some time in the north of the Island at Las Palmas (with my crew mates) - a bit of time on the east coast and then down to the south of the island at Masopolomas for the "all inclusive" week. We also hired a car for a day and got up into the central mountainous area. Gran Canaria is not a big place so I think I had a pretty good look around but at the same time appreciate I only scratched the surface. Here are my thoughts from that :

Gran Canaria is the 3rd largest Canary island. Its population is about 700,000. Like all the Canaries its origin is volcanic. Most of the development and population is found on the coastal belt. The centre of the island is mountainous - up to about 2000 metres. It would be fair to say Gran Canaria is not necessarily a "beautiful" place in a spectacular sense or in a manicured sense and it is often very windy. However it is a real place - as an Island of course dominated by the sea and that sea is the Atlantic Ocean which is formidable. The Islands volcanic history though apparently dead now is evident everywhere in the form of exposed rock - which is not fertile of course - so can appear rather barren or scruffy. The climate of course is determined by its latitude and maritime position and tremendous for winter sun.

A quick word about the people of Grand Canaria - I have travelled quite a bit and it becomes a bit of a cliché to say people are nice - but the Grand Canarians definitely are - exceptionally so I would say. It is essentially a simple place - not overly developed - there is space to move around - but the island has reasonable prosperity too - it is not poor or run down but at the same time not glitzy. Food quality is excellent and reasonably priced - especially fish and vegetables. Ideal! They seem to have a good balance and people appear happy and content.

This blog is essentially a family record and I have used photos taken on my mob as the main focus as you can see.

A quick word about "all inclusive" holidays. In summary - sit by the pool and eat and drink as much as you want! As a concept it is easy to knock - ie for the couch potato! However in my view for a limited time - say max a week they can offer really excellent R & R providing you get some exercise and don't go mad on the "free" food and drink. I swam a lot and ran every morning and the beauty is there is nothing to decide so you can really relax - chat and read etc. We had a really enjoyable time and it is a great way of people watching ha!


On arrival - Las Palmas (capital city) marina and start of the ARC race.






Playa de Las Canteras beach - the best beach in Las Palmas - big surf



Sailors Bay bar - the place to go Las Palmas marina

After leaving the boat I had one night at the Centre of International Windsurfing at Pozo Izquierdo near El Doctoral. A very windy place but a lovely little village - wonderful cheap sea food!









We hired a car and when up into the mountains for the day.




Here are some views of  Roque Nublo at 1811 metres one of the highest points on the island - a very enjoyable 45 minute walk and worth doing.























brother Mike




My turn






Mike and James enjoying "all inclusive" delights
James chilling
James & I dressed for dinner!
An evening out at the Yumbo Centre. Sights to see - ha!
Hard to resist a early afternoon beer or rum!


No comments:

Post a Comment