Tuesday 1 July 2014

The right joke at the right time

The other day I was up on my allotment and talking to one of the stalwart gardeners who has been very helpful to a relative newby.

We were looking at his plot and I said "Martin how do you get your soil looking so good?" He said in a very practical way they had had their allotment for over 20 years and they had put a lot of good stuff on it!

He then said my question reminded him of the story of an American tourist visiting Hampton Court Palace.

American to old gardener - gee how do you get your lawns looking like that?

Old gardener - well you prepare the ground, plant the seed, watch it grow and then

MOW IT FOR 400 YEARS!

This little joke has made me chuckle on and off for ages. It was so right in so many ways.

It also serves to remind me that while gardening can produce short term rewards you also have to work at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment