Wednesday 5 August 2015

#India November 2015 PART 1

I am excited. I have just received my Indrail Passes.

An explanation. I have walked on Indian soil twice - Mumbai airport - in transit - ha! I have always wanted to go to India proper and now I am going.

My interest in India has been fuelled by books, documentaries and of course by Indian food. Years ago I read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth and India by V S Naipaul - those wonderful Indian Railway documentaries and more recently Rick Steins visit to India series - the fascination of their religions, the Ganges, the Raj, the caste system - a culture in many ways so different from ours.

I have my visa - £104 plus a visit to the Indian embassy in London (Paddington) to get it.

I fly (with Jet Air) to Kolkata (Calcutta) in early November and will be there for 4 weeks.

I am back packing, travelling alone and moving around mainly by train.

I have pre booked trains with Indrail through S D Enterprises London and with the help of the web site Seat 61.

I have put together my own itinerary - having read quite a bit about what is possible. A quick outline - visits to :
Kolcatta
Varanasi
Jhansi
Agra
Jaipur
New Delhi
Kalka
Shimla
Mumbai
Kerala
Goa

Over the next three months I will be working on putting meat on the bones so to speak and will be posting with up dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment