Thursday 13 August 2015

#Truism - the less you do the less you feel like doing!

Last Friday I had a very painful injury playing squash. Straight to hospital. Damaged medial knee ligament, pain killers and crutches. I get home at 1am. Pain acute but only in certain positions. I have a decent nights sleep. Wake early and reflect.

I have so many jobs on the go that require me to be mobile. I also have my daily sports fix. I can do none of it for a few days at least - there is no debate about that. Suddenly (and inconveniently) I have time on my hands. I reflect further - this is a GREAT opportunity. There are so many things I can do - things I have not got round to doing - things that only require me sitting at my desk - things I can do on my computer.

A few days later. My knee is easing gradually. I have made some paperwork progress but not much. I am grumpy with myself - I have wasted time and opportunity. What has happened? Truthfully - a bit of self analysis - I didn't do much on the first day on the sofa and the old truism kicked in. THE LESS YOU DO THE LESS YOU FEEL LIKE DOING. The reality and honesty of this simple bit of wisdom makes me smile. It is particularly the case with study, or training - or even my beloved allotment! Go on holiday and try and get back into the routine! Christmas always majorly messes things up for me until I can summon the willpower to break the cycle and get active again.

Why am I writing this. This simple truism is why there are so many obese and unfit people in our society. It is why there is so much under achievement in our schools. We have to get started - momentum creates further momentum. Lose momentum and it is difficult to get the juggernaut of life moving again and bad habits prevail and prevail and prevail.

Ps One of the things I have been doing is watching far too many episodes of Ridley Scott's The Good Wife on Netflix. One of the lawyers came out with the line - "life is a road and it is easy to steer off it". Very profound and I am not in context! Maybe "life is a road and it is easy to park up in a layby" - ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment