Thursday 13 August 2015

#Truism - work expands to fill the time available!

Further thoughts on yesterday's blog theme.

It's a couple of days before your holiday. All those loose ends in your in tray that have been there for a while. A couple of grotty filing jobs to do too. They are low level bugging you. You want a tidy desk before you go. A fresh start when you return. There is also the domestic stuff to sort. Grass to mow, bedding to change, car needs cleaning. How am I going to get all this stuff done in the time available!? You do - you sail through it. Time imperatives mean you are energised and decisive. You get your finger out! A bit of stress yes - but it all gets done. You reflect why on earth did I let that in tray hang around for so long and mess with my karma. I sorted it in no time. I pat myself on the back at what I have achieved in the time available.

Most of us will be in a management role at some time in our lives. At some time you will need to decide whether staff are being asked to do too much - whether they need more support. Whether they are overworked.

I know someone who worked for the local authority. He was convinced he was overworked. His department was outsourced and privatised. He went with it as part of the deal. He was given much more work. He actually said I thought I was busy before - now I know what busy is. The ironic thing - he is now enjoying his time at work much more. He loves the challenge of being productive - he is getting job satisfaction - he loves the buzz of a busy office.

A manager not getting some key tasks done. She needs support. We agree to a PA. The key tasks are still not getting done - but everyone claims to be busy. The reality - phone chats take longer. There are more meetings. Staff amble around. We can do that tomorrow rather than today.

Can you relate to this. WORK EXPANDS TO FILL THE TIME AVAILABLE. Very few of us say I am all done now - can I have some more work please?

Another truism comes to mind - "if you want a job done well - go to a busy person" I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment