Wednesday 2 September 2015

Being active and productive - a self inflicted pressure & Victorious Festival Southsea etc etc

It was a rainy day yesterday - hardly classic but maybe typical August bank holiday Monday weather. I rode my bike along the seawall in the morning in light rain but not cold. There were very few around - not even the usual dog walkers. It felt spiritual - the tide was out - it was early - it was so quiet - it was wonderfully peaceful.

Sunday had been a full day. I went to the Victorious Festival at Southsea. It was a big event - crowd must have been 20000. We saw some really entertaining bands - it is all about timing. Early afternoon Texas - their cheesy sing-a-long numbers from the 80's and 90's and then a young band called Fickle Friend who we will probably hear more of (providing the female lead singer is not quite so wishy washy with her banter). The evening line up was really excellent. We Are Scientists - very slick. I know them. Border line great - the guitars just need to soar a bit more. Ella Eyre of Rudimental etc. Then came Johnny Marr of the legendary Smiths. They really went down well. So professional. (I must give The Queen is Dead an airing.) The headliners were Basement Jaxx - a great fun band - audience fully into the music and dancing. A mad stage performance from the two big ladies and the sundry cast.








The only problem was getting back to the Island. Music ended 11pm. Best will in the world half hour to the ferry. The great IOW service. Hover 10.45 - Cat 11.00 - car ferry 1 0'clock.! Get home at 2.30. Only plus was we had plenty of time for some junk food - great stuff at the time!

Any way - back to my early morning ride I was thinking about the rest of the day. What I need to do - what I would like to do on this rainy bank holiday Monday.

What I need to do - in reality pretty much nothing - after all I did not get to bed until 3am - but that felt unsatisfactory. I started challenging myself. Why unsatisfactory?

Some self analysis. I am not saying I do not waste time. I am not denying I am a couch potato on occasion. What I am saying is I feel guilty about it - feel irritated by myself maybe. Consequently I am usually busy (although my family would rib me for saying that - another story!). I am outside a lot - have a list of things to do - or am planning something.

But is it a waste of time doing nothing? What is wrong from time to time laying on the couch, snacking and watching sundry films? Should I feel the need for self flagellation - ha!

My answer - on the whole wasting time is a waste of time - and as you get older wasting time begins to feel more significant! Lounging on the couch and watching a good film in the afternoon felt good though. (After all it was raining outside and the day before had been full and late!) I watched The World's Fastest Indian - starring the brilliant Anthony Hopkins. A real wholesome biopic about Burt Monroe - a feel good film - a tear in the eye moment at the end (see the film - ha!).

I shall endeavour to keep myself busy. Allotment needs a manure spread, I haven't finished painting the front of the house and I have to sort my camping and fishing gear for next weekend - ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment