Sunday 13 September 2015

Kathmandu Oct/Nov 2014

I have just been tidying my photos - a bummer job - especially as it is easy to get behind with it - as I always am. (Was it easier in the days before digital - certainly far fewer photos!) Anyway they prompted this blog.

In October 2014 I made a trip to Nepal.

I retain very vivid and happy memories of sightseeing in Kathmandu.

Much of what I was privileged to see was designated as a world heritage site. Much of what I saw such a short time ago  has now been destroyed as a result of the shocking April 2015 earthquake.

Nepal is economically such a poor place. The people must be having such a terrible struggle. Hopefully everything can gradually be restored and repaired and life can get back to normal and the vital tourists and trekkers return. I attach a few photos.

Scenes around Swayambhunath (monkey temple)











Kumari Bahal (House of the Living Goddess)


The mighty Maju Deval Shiva Temple Durbar

Dattatraya

Durbar Square




Scenes from the Royal Palace






The Parliament building in the background

A Bagmati River ghat - for Hindu cremation pyres. The ashes flow into the Ganges





The magnificent Boudhanath stupa

No comments:

Post a Comment