Thursday 24 September 2015

Cleaning dusting and polishing

I have been having what might be best described as a spring clean. Usually there has to be a reason - on this occasion 4 old mates from Exeter - going right back to primary school - are coming to stay for a lads weekend - will be interesting as we are hardly lads anymore but maybe we don't fully realise it yet!).

Generally my home is tidy I would say - definitely not unhygienic I would say - ha! - but I will admit to being rubbish at dealing with dusting and vacuum cleaning - and cleaning the windows.

The question for myself is am I normal - in as much as my cleaning standards are where they are - or am I abnormal given where my cleaning standards generally are?

Certainly I am aware that a lot of homes are regularly cleaned polished and dusted - many on a daily basis. The "housework" is part of the living day to day routine. Do I think this is excessive? I certainly do not do it. Should I be looking at it as a case of a stitch in time - no need for periodic miserable - time consuming - boring spring cleans - as I have just done.

But do I really want part of my everyday involving dusting and polishing. (I do manage to keep the kitchen pretty reasonable as a sensible priority I would say - ha!). Are many people not OCD - are some homes just too sterile and too cleansed for the actual good health of the occupants!? Where does the right balance lie? Surely I have it about right or am I a lazy slob - surely I couldn't be! Admit it Shoulder - your standards are not high enough - but on the other hand it is not the Queen who is visiting - I am just an ordinary bloke with other things to think about and do - surely!

My problem is one of attitude. I get no pleasure whatsoever from dusting and cleaning. I know it has to be done. Maybe it is how some people feel about exercise or being outdoors.

Writing this and thinking about it is making me grumpy - maybe I should employ a cleaner - but that is lazy and I could do something more interesting with the money - maybe!

I need a solution - it is affecting my karma - what to do - I will report back - but first of all the weekend and the rugby - hooray!

PS see my blog 18th June #OCD

No comments:

Post a Comment