Sunday 20 September 2015

#John O'Groats to Lands End - maybe?

It was another glorious early morning this morning - a Sunday - not a breath of wind - sun up and casting a warm beam, through the hovering sea mist, across the sea from the middle of the Solent off Seaview all the way to Ryde Harbour. I was on my bike. I am riding more and more because it is helping with a knee ligament injury (I think - ha!).

If you are from the UK you will know there is a classic challenge - the longest route the UK can offer - top to bottom - end to end - John O'Groats at the very top of Scotland to Lands End at the very bottom of Cornwall - just under a 1000 miles. Many people have done it - most on a bike - some have walked it. At Lands End there are photographs showing people finishing in all manner of contraptions.

I have been to Lands End quite a few times - it is a lovely cliff walk. We were there this year and the thought yet again went through my mind - how great it would feel if you cycled there from John O' Groats  - a real adventure - a real challenge - a big achievement.

Walking is a great thing to do but cycling offers a lot too. It is slow enough to enjoy the scenery - you cover more ground though - you see a lot over the hedges you might miss by walking and of course it is much easier on the knees.

As far is cycling is concerned I have no interest in the racing bike and lycra approach. For years we have done the annual Isle of Wight Randonee. The Randonee is a circumnavigation of the Island - 67 miles with some extreme hills. We just get out our hybrid bikes and do it. We ache next day - but it is possible - definitely.

So my thought process is I can do the end to end. Some people do it in 10 days or less. They often do it as teams - with support teams - (often for charity). That will not be me - I have no idea how long it will take - certainly 3 weeks. Much depends on the actual route taken. I will avoid the quicker major roads for obvious reasons - and will use a hybrid bike with panniers - and using secondary quieter roads.

Overnight stops is a big consideration. Many use bed and breakfast. I probably would - but I have lightweight camping gear and this might be a possibility.

So the seed is planted. I would like to do it and think I can.

The next question is when. Scotland particularly in the north is well known for its extreme weather - but I do not want to do it in full summer - for lots of reasons. So I am pencilling in May 2016 and am gradually going to formulate a plan. It may not come to fruition but this is the start and it feels positive to have it on the agenda. Imagine the feeling - you crawl into Lands End - you have cycled a 1000 miles through all weathers - there will be highs and lows - but what a sense of achievement. A big smile indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment