Sunday 29 November 2015

#India PT 18 more observations India Nov 2015

#India PT 18 more observations India Nov 2015

Here are a few more bit and pieces that have come my way or have occurred to me while I have been here. In no particular order!

  • India is an extremely competitive place. Placed in the same situation I have thought what would I do to make a living. One big problem would be copying or barging in. It seems if one does it and has some success it is quickly duplicated. That can happen anywhere of course but it definitely happens here. On this theme it is easy to be judgemental about how people live and go about things. I think it is a false conclusion for us westerners to feel we would soon rise above the crowd if we were dealt the same hand of cards.
  • Personal space. I have had to learn fast. Customs are much different here - they have to be. An example. You are sat on a bench resting your legs - nice and peaceful - it is my territory in my mind. Along comes an Indian family and sits all round me. No excuse me - would you mind if we sit here. I think the cheeky devils this is my seat - buzz off! However they have no idea I think they are being rude - it does not occur to them they are doing something wrong or offensive. They are not  - ha! In an ultra crowded country with well over a billion people - you perch where you can - it is accepted - it is normal and no one gets upset - just sqeeze in! I have had to learn this quickly otherwise you would continually be stressed in India!
  • Be careful where you sit. I have just been startled by a crashing falling coconut. It could have been worse. I remember on my last big trip which included some time in the Amazon basin the guide explained at certain times of the year in is unsafe to move around in the rain forest. Brazil nuts are housed inside a hard outer casing about football size. They kill.
  • Political corruption is a reoccurring theme. I have talked to several Indian businessmen and apart from population growth they feel graft and patronage is seriously damaging India's future prospects. I have written about this before. Once it gets hold it is so hard to shift and percolates down to all aspects of society. The state of Bihar had been in the news while I have been here. See http://m.firstpost.com/politics/with-tejashwi-and-tej-pratap-lalu-has-strengthend-his-dynasty-in-bihar-2519636.html After winning the state election the winners young sons with limited academic attainment apparently now become cabinet ministers with all sorts of perks including a huge bungalow each. Thankfully freedom of the press in the UK keeps vigilant in exposing this type of behaviour. A very important - indeed crucial thing.
  • Tuk Tuk drivers frequently ask you to do favours. Just let me take you to one shop. They will get a T shirt or a litre of fuel etc. I just smile and say sorry I can't do that and move on.
  • I was only in one downpour. The rain was those lovely big warm drops. A lot of people enjoy the monsoon. Rain really brings out the smells.
  • I think the hot season must be unbearable. India is a massive country where areas have local climates of course but I would never recommend coming here in the summer.
  • You see a lot of Tourist Information offices. Beware most are private businesses. They are travel agents.
  • Indian young men smile. They want photos taken with you and to impress you with their knowledge of Premiership Football. They are not aggressive or surly like so often in the UK.
  • Kerala has shut down most of its bars by government order. The reason - Indians drinking too much and becoming problematic. You now see long queues at government controlled off licences.
  • I have watched quite a bit of cricket here. I think the best view comes from behind the bowlers arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment