Saturday 30 April 2016

#metaphor life is like a slow puncture - it always needs pumping up!

Am I really going to write this. I have no idea where it is going. My avid readers - ha! will know of my early morning bike ride.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the back tyre on my trusty steed was losing air. It was going soft. Bummer - I have a slow puncture. I quickly pump the tyre up. It stayed hard - but I know with punctures they only normally go one way. They get worse - but maybe it won't. I will give it a go. 2 weeks later I still haven't fixed it. It is marginally worse but I can eek it out a bit longer - I want to avoid the grotty job of fixing the puncture for as long as I can. Can I fix it anyway - maybe wiser to start from new? Maybe there is STILL a chance it will go away - fix itself - come good after all! But you fool of course it will not fix itself. You will have to deal with it eventually. Sort it out now before it really causes you a bigger problem!

This is the metaphor determined on the outward leg of my bike ride this morning. "Life is like a slow puncture" - it needs regular pumping up and/or ultimately fixing - ha! Maybe not the most positive thought for the day - but actually it is not all bad news. I am not sure why but it is making me chuckle - I had a fantastic bike ride this morning on a partially inflated back tyre - so not everything in life has to be perfect!

The bike ride. Early morning - amazingly bright and clear. It is Saturday - no vehicles around at all. The tide is out a long way. I am looking down the Solent. Portsmouth is clear as a bell. I am standing up in the pedals. There is a strong north westerly. It is so cold. Gloves needed. I have to pedal hard - the slow puncture is making me work harder - but I love the effort it takes - a battle to make progress - but it is good - it is so fresh - and I am on the Island on a bike - not caught up on the inner Pompy motorway in a car - this gives me satisfaction too. Eventually I get to Ryde Harbour and turn around. It is like entering another world. Suddenly the wind is behind - no cold anymore - gloves off - and wow the early morning sun - still low in the east but now as spring is underway - warm. I am literally bathed in this wonderfully warm yellow light. The pedals turn easily - the wind is my friend. Stop - I the think about a metaphor - to do with life and head winds and tail winds and helping and hindering and reward for effort - but one metaphor is enough for today! I really enjoyed my bike ride with a half inflated tyre - but it will need to be fixed I guess !



No comments:

Post a Comment