Friday 15 April 2016

#painting - the perils of - listen to your own good advice

My normal calm and gentle start to the day didn't quite happen this morning. An hour later I am smiling now. (sorry this is petty stuff but it might serve as a reminder to me if no one else!)

The moment. It is early Friday morning and I will do my early morning bike ride to Ryde harbour and back. (I have quite a decent wind proof cycling jacket I wear.) However this morning is a bit different. My little sailing boat Goldcrest is in the harbour and over the last week I have been tidying her. There is a small amount of painting required which has to dry before I can move on to the next stage. As I am away for the weekend and as heavy rain is forecast for later in the day, can I do my bike ride and at the same time nip into the harbour and quickly do the 10 minute paint job - it is done then and it will not hold me up on Monday. Yes I can - that makes sense!

However I think to myself - put something different on otherwise you will get paint on your cycling jacket. This has happened to me so many times before. I am one of these people that rarely throws away old clothes because I always feel I can use them for decorating or doing other messy jobs. But I am too lazy, or too optimistic or too something. Of course I don't put on any old clothes - leave my cycling jacket on - and despite being ultra careful and despite assuring myself it won't happen - of course it does - I get paint on my jacket!

When I get back - out comes the stinky turps and I do my best to get the paint off. I had to rub so hard I have probably taken the colour out of the jacket. I have washed it now - will see later what the outcome is!

Anyway for the 20th time in my life (or 50th!) I have yet again failed to listen to my own sensible advice when it comes to painting and old clothes. How ever small the job, how ever careful you are, it is impossible to open a tin of paint, paint something, put the lid back on and do something with the brush without getting paint somewhere on your hands and clothes!

Surely - surely there will not be a 21st or 51st occasion - ha! 

2 comments:

  1. Vanity~ (in my experience). So I have my own blog now. It appears I've had it all along, but now I know how to use it and I must thank you for that. It's sallyspotter@blogspot.com and that's where you'll find me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete