Friday 22 April 2016

#TheQueen

The Queen was 90 yesterday. I unreservedly wish her happy birthday, congratulate her on reaching such a milestone - and wish her well for the future. However there it stops.

Years ago I remember posing the question round the campfire - "who would you jump out of bed and rush up the road to see if they were in the vicinity." (I remember one of mine was Spike Milligan another Margaret Thatcher). In the same banter I said it would not be for the Queen or any of the Royals but I would stop at stringing them up - ha! So does that make me a Republican. It most certainly does.

Why am I a republican. Simply - I believe in democracy, I believe in social mobility through hard work and ability and therefore I rail against privilege and birth right. It actually makes me feel physically sick to think someone is born to rule - the hereditary principle. I think it is totally unhealthy - actually disgusting - perverted.

But there is a twist. This might appear completely contradictory to what I have just stated so clearly above. There is a case for keeping the UK monarchy - because in a Republic it is normal to have a "President". If the President is elected as would be in a democracy that President will have power (power by election). I do not advocate a Presidential system. I want to keep our system where we have a President (in our case the Monarch) with no executive power (as not legitimised by democratic election) deferring totally to a Prime minister nominated to lead the elected Legislature (Parliament). Parliament is sovereign. Why do I not like an elected Presidential system? Power corrupts. I feel the Parliamentary system is more healthy - has more checks and balances.

So in effect what I am saying is the UK in my view, pretty much has the perfect system - an unelected, neutered President (Monarch) and a Parliamentary system (with an unelected (but definitely not hereditary) second (revising) chamber - our House of Lords).

I can just about stomach the fawning around the Queen and the Royals. I appreciate they do good work in charity and public service events. I appreciate they are a novelty (a throw back) which other countries respond to positively. Someone has to do the glad handing and ceremonial stuff the Queen has done and continues to do with dignity so she (they) can continue to do it as far as I am concerned providing their executive head remains well below the parapet. If they stick it up I would be happy to chop it off (metaphorically speaking - ha!)

So there is not a child born in this country who could not one day work his or her way up to the highest office in the land. That is a good and healthy thing and makes me feel proud of our system.

Just to re establish my republican credentials I cannot sing the National Anthem in any circumstances with words like "long may she reign over us".

So back where I started and not to be churlish. Happy birthday Elizabeth Windsor - you are not a bad old stick!


No comments:

Post a Comment