Friday 29 October 2021

#Metaverse

 A few years ago I read a prediction by someone who seemed to know what he is talking about - "that there will be more changes in the next 50 years than in the last 50 years."

As someone who has grown up in those last 50 years that seemed an extraordinary statement - given the enormous changes that have happened in my life time. Computers - mobile phones - DNA - micro technology - the internet - globalisation etc etc. Could there really be more things coming along that would have an even bigger impact on our lives?

Hands up here - I am not a geek - I am not into science fiction - but I am pretty sure the answer is yes. 

We are already seeing the emergence of space travel - we know a bit about AI - the use of artificial intelligence - intelligent machines. Robotics as daily experience. Use of drones. Cashless society. Nano technology. Genetic engineering. We are moving away from fossil fuels. 

But yesterday another massive glimpse - an insight prompted by the decision of  Mark Zuckerburg of Facebook to announce the Facebook group was changing its name to Meta - "to better represent or describe what they will be doing in the future."

That meant absolutely nothing to me - Meta? 

So I did some basic research - it is all about the "metaverse".

The metaverse is defined as :

a virtual-reality space in which users can interact with a computer-generated environment and other users

As I understand it is predicted as commonplace (and not that far away) that we will have access to devices - machines - or whatever - that will produce 3D images (in a virtual world) which we will be able to interact with and will form part of our actual world. I think what is being suggested is there will be a blurring of the edges between virtual and real. I haven't watched the movie - Matrix - but apparently it is an indication of where all this might be heading.

I think this means you might be able to go on holiday without actually leaving your own home - because virtual realities will allow the Taj Mahal to come to you. I think you will be able to dance with a life size Kylie or cook with Nigella in your own home or anywhere else!

Actually I have no idea what I am talking about except it is obvious we are all going to be hearing a lot more about the METAVERSE. Not sure I like it much either - ha!  


No comments:

Post a Comment