Saturday 4 November 2023

#Chamonix

I am a bit behind with my posts. This one is almost entirely just one for the record - to post some photos.

They cover a short trip to Chamonix - Mont - Blanc - for short - Chamonix.

I have missed out on skiing. I know why. In the early years it was not accessible to me. When it was - winter sun was a big draw but the deciding factor was a concern I might have damaged my knees. I know several that have while skiing. A big price to pay but alas I know I have missed out on something that is often very special. My one time was years ago but I didn't have the time to become competent. Now it has passed me by.

So - consequently I am not that familiar with The Alps. Therefore to see Mont Blanc the highest mountain in Europe had appeal.

The nearest airport to Chamonix in France is Geneva in Switzerland. We hired a car. I think the journey took about an hour. Initially motorway and toll roads and then an easy steady climb up into the Chamonix valley. The journey between Switzerland and France was seemless and I say that as a rampant Brexit supporter. ( and so much for project fear ! )

We get to Chamonix in full on sun. People are walking around in T shirts. Our hotel balcony has a superb view of Mont Blanc. It is snow and ice covered to quite a way down despite the sun. Hotels are pretty cheap out of the ski seaon. What is not cheap is food and drink. 

Chamonix is regarded as a premier skiing base. High up in its valley it has historically received good snow fall and both valley sides have a range of ski runs. It is definitely beautiful and the resort is smart - all the high end retail names trading. I keep thinking we are in Switzerland because everything is so ordered and sensible and work  - but it is France - ha!

Our main activity is to take a ride on Europe's highest cable car that goes from the centre of Chamonix to the top of Aiguille du Midi at over 12000 ft. We spent a lovely hour or so at the top for a great view of Mont Blanc itself and other surrounding mountains. It was spectacular and that wonderful combination of snow and sun.

My overall conclusion though is Chamonix is not for me. It is "chic"! But more significantly Chamonix felt claustrophobic to me. The valley is narrow and the valley  steep on both sides. Great for skiing of course but I had a sense I wanted to break out.

It was an excellent weekend break however. I did think about putting the walk around The Mont Blanc Massiff - 105 miles - takes 7 to 10 days on the list. Maybe if I can find the time - ha!

On the way back to the airport we parked up in Geneva for a stroll along the lake shore. As expected it was smart and felt upmarket.

Here are some relevant extracts from Wikipaedia.

Bjîînix-Mont-Blanc (French pronunciation: [ʃamɔni mɔ̃ blɑ̃]ArpitanChamôni-Mont-Blanc), more commonly known simply as Chamonix (Chamôni),[a][b] is a commune in the Haute-Savoie department in the French Alps within the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in Southeastern France. It was the site of the first Winter Olympics, held in 1924. In 2020, it had a population of 8,644.

It is situated just north of Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Western Europe. Between peaks of the Aiguilles, Rouges and the notable Aiguille du Midi, Chamonix borders both Switzerland and Italy. It is one of the oldest ski resorts in France, popular with alpinists and mountain enthusiasts. Via the cable car lift to the Aiguille du Midi it is possible to access the off-piste (backcountry) ski run of the Vallée Blanche (White Valley).

Chamonix is a winter sports resort town that still attracts skiers ready to test themselves both on the pistes in the official area and against the challenges of the backcountry skiing.[13] As the highest European mountain west of Russia,[14] Mont Blanc attracts mountain climbers. The Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc has been held every August since 2003.

There is a cable car up to the 3,842 m (12,605 ft) Aiguille du Midi. Constructed in 1955, it was then the highest cable car in the world[15] and remains the highest vertical ascent cable car in the world.[16]

Chamonix is divided into 3 separate ski areas (Les Grands Montets, Brévent - Flégère, le domaine de Balme) which run along the valley from Le Tour down to Les Houches.[17] In addition to the 1924 Winter Olympic Games, the town hosts a round of the FIS Alpine Ski World Cup and the Arlberg-Kandahar. It previously hosted the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 1937 and the 1984 and 1988 Biathlon World Championships for women.

The 1930 Ice Hockey World Championships was mostly held at Chamonix. The town also hosted the European Curling Championships in 1991 and 1999.


Here are a few photos taken on my mob :-







Top of Aiguille du Midi 

















Lake Geneva






xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment