Tuesday 7 October 2014

13.4 mile plod

Having got my squash league commitments out of the way I felt I desperately needed to get a long run in. (The Great West run - only 2 weeks away and it would be daft to do long distances in the week immediately before.) I had the Dartmoor trek starting on Saturday morning so the only time I could do a run was early in the morning on Friday before I drove down to Exeter.

I had two hot baths after my squash on Thursday night. Quite a bit of good food and massaged my knees with Ibroprofen gel. Friday morning up early - banana and coffee and water. Set off at 7.15 on a lovely bright morning.

The running didn't come easy for the whole first lap. I had chosen an off road route - to St Helen's duver and causeway - up to the green and back around the solar park and eventually down Oakhill Road. It was 6.7 miles on my GPS. I was continually troubled by the prospect of another full lap. Nothing hurt as such but it just felt such an effort. I ran steady - never stopped - lots of hills up and down - a cross country route - but I am slow. I was also running in a jacket - felt fine but sweat dripping off.

I got home - had another half a banana and more water - changed my shirt and got rid of the jacket and went straight out on the second lap. Immediately I seemed to switch off. Started thinking about other stuff rather than the actual run. This massively helps and the yards past off. The other good thing about the run I was doing is it can be broken down in your head into distinct legs - easier to get your head around rather than the monotony of a long straight street run.

Anyway the miles began to build. I passed 10 then 11 and felt very pleased and happy - because it would have been easy to convince myself that this was daft and I had to get down to Exeter and one lap would have been enough. At 12 miles an old boy I passed said to me that you seem to be struggling mate - he was right. Downhill to home 13.4 miles in total so slightly longer than the half marathon in a couple of weeks.

A great feeling when I got home. An incredibly slow time - but a harder course than the Exeter street run and I will be better prepared on the day.

Hot bath - fruit and juice, cereals, marmite as a drink and coffee. On to the ferry for Exeter. Dosed in the sun on the top deck - with a very warm jacket on.

Great stuff. It is in the bag now. No one can take it away!


No comments:

Post a Comment