Wednesday 22 October 2014

Great West Run - half marathon

It is Tuesday morning - back from a long weekend in Exeter which included completing the half marathon on Sunday. My legs are still aching.

I shall describe - some of my thoughts and thought processes.

A quick recap - I have run quite a lot of half marathons in the past - but that was in my early 30's. My offspring are all into running now and I did the Istanbul 15k with them last year. I enjoyed it a lot - not the run particularly but the having done it bit and the sense of achievement you feel.

As I was entering my 60th year I was forming a plan of the sort of things I could and would like to do. It is easy to fill out a diary with a set of dates! Anyway I decided to do a half marathon in October 14 and run the Paris Marathon in April 15. (we applied and paid up - so we are in!).

The half marathon - I was working off a good level of general fitness (touch wood) and was given a 13 week training programme by one of my sons. Broadly I did the programme but at no point did I feel I was on top of it and it was a struggle.

Anyway race day comes. A 9 am start - 4000 runners. I had a hot bath at 6.30am and rubbed masses of Deep Heat into my knees. My daughter asked me how I felt - I said like someone going into an exam - feeling they had not done enough revision!

The pre race was great. We were in the centre of Exeter in a big line of athletes. I was with my son James - the music playing loud - especially Pharrell Williams "Happy"! Great stuff - but an anxious time as well. It was a perfect running morning - clear and coolish and only a slight breeze.

The initial part of the course was gentle downhill - through the main High Street - lots of people cheering - running was easy - ha! Gradually reality dawned though. Lots of smallish inclines and then at 5 miles - a 11/2  mile stretch out on one carriageway and back on the other. When I entered this stretch there were others already finishing the return. You keep wishing for the turning point but it takes a long time to come. I also felt the pressure of being caught up in a race - also thinking about the time - conscious that runners were passing me - knowing I was less than half way. Not very enjoyable. When I did eventually turn I did get a lift. You then see runners toiling up the leg and realise there are plenty of others still behind and struggling too.

At about 8 miles there was a horrendous hill running up through the uni. There were lots of spectators on the hill offering genuine encouragement. Quite a few broke into a walk. I kept running albeit at a crabs pace - and it was hard. The only thing that keeps you going is not stopping. From there and till the rest of the race my legs ached and to some extent my knees felt as if they were jarring. Between 9 and 10 miles the course re enters the town - close to the start. There I pass my wonderful family including my two grand daughters - emotional (very) to hear them cheering on dad.

The last part was very hard. You set off a 150 yrds from the finish - but have to run away from it. Exeter is my home town so know this stretch well. Plenty of inclines - legs are heavy and stiff - no knee lift - shuffling along. Lots of lovely spectators. See James coming back and going well with a big smile. brings tears to my eyes. Get to the turn to run back on the other carriageway - only 20 minutes or so to the finish. Feeling physically ok - but legs won't go. Lots happening - masses of people  cheering- disconcertingly ambulance sirens and I see a couple of people being treated. At this point I feel emotional - St Marks Hill - a bloody good effort Dave. People are nice - offer encouragement. Run down to the finish - see all the family clapping - and I run in to bag pipes playing - amazing. Choking back tears. How crazy - just a piddly little half marathon run in a crap time - but it feels a lot and feels significant.

I finish in 2.26. I hoped to be quite a bit faster - but I wasn't. Did it matter? Not really. I got a round without stopping. Apparently I was 48th in the overs 60's category - ha! I feel so pleased for James. He did a PB on a hilly course - 2.01 - a brilliant effort. My family were great - so supportive.

So reflections. So glad I did it. The wonderful satisfaction both physically and emotionally is special. It is slightly crazy - perhaps too much to sensibly undertake - but life needs challenges and it is good for the soul to get out of your comfort zone. Everybody that had a go was a winner.

My mind quickly turned to the April 15 Paris Marathon. Ridiculous to feel a marathon would require another lap of the same. To be honest that seems impossible - and I initially decide to be sensible and rule it out.

However a couple of days have passed. I feel good (touch wood). I have entered in the Paris Marathon. I have said to myself I will do it. Am I going to bottle it. Am I going to give up the immense emotional feeling that will get if I cross the finishing line on the Champs Ely-sees. How can I ? So that's it. 6 months to prepare to run 26 miles. Terrifying !

Ready to set off

Jame's going well

10 miles putting on a brave face!


Medals at the end. Emotional!

No comments:

Post a Comment