Wednesday 8 October 2014

Thoughts on "stuff" and Rabi Lionel Bloom

First of all a definition - how about "stuff" is everything you own apart from yourself in the nud!

We all have stuff in our lives of course - we cannot function without it. The challenge is to have the right stuff - to have the right amount of stuff.

Pros of stuff :-
  • It can enable you to function efficiently and be safe and secure.
  • It can be educational.
  • It can help bring you pleasure or bring you pleasure (happiness).
  • It might be an investment!? (although often a cop out I think)
Cons of stuff :- Too much stuff or the wrong stuff can clog up your life and be burdensome. Ownership can be STRESSFUL.
  • Stuff costs and therefore money can be wasted.
  • Stuff takes up space.
  • Stuff needs maintaining and dusting and cleaning.
  • Stuff goes wrong!
  • Stuff is rarely worth having for its own sake.
I doubt if many people would fundamentally dispute the essence of my summary above. Current terms in vogue - de-clutter, minimalism, an older saying - if you have not worn it in the last 12 months dispose of it - or an older one still - only have things in your life if they are functional or beautiful.

However I think the more subtle challenge (once you have accepted the de-clutter philosophy) is understanding the reality between what you think you need and what you actually need. Solving this one is important because it means that not only do you have the optimal amount of stuff to manage - but also you potentially remove a stress that many people suffer from - discontentment. Many people seem to be preoccupied with the acquisition of things - their life on hold until they have got what they want - it can create a financial stress too.

Years ago - maybe 30 or more years ago I heard Rabi Lionel Bloom tell this simple story on Radio 4's Thought for the Day. It stuck with me. I relate to it. It went something like this :-

A woman goes to her priest for help.

Woman - things are terrible at home. Our cottage is very small. We have seven children - there is not enough room. Everyone is on top of each other. We are all bickering and arguing. It is making me ill. We cannot carry on like this.

Priest - (after consideration says) - bring one of your chickens into the house and come back and see me in a week and tell me how you are getting on.

Woman - father I cannot see how that will help but I trust you and will do what you say.

A week later :-

Priest - how are things at home?

Woman - dreadful Father. It was bad before - but even worse now with the chicken in the cottage.

Priest - bring one of your lambs into the house as well and come back to see me in a week.

Another week later :-

Priest - how at things at home?

Woman - shocking father - the chicken and now the lamb - we are at each other throats.

Priest - ok bring one of your piglets into the cottage as well and come back and see me in a week.

Woman  - a piglet as well father. It will be terrible - but I trust you father and will do as you say.

Another week later :-

Priest - and how are things at home.

Woman - father things were very bad - but with the chicken, the lamb and the piglet in our little cottage we are all cracking up.

Priest - I see - go home and remove the chicken, the lamb and the piglet from the cottage and come back and see me in a week.

A week goes by :-

Priest - and how are things at home?

Woman - wonderful father!! Without the chicken, lamb and piglet in the cottage we have so much space!!!

I am not quite sure how this story helps but I think it has some relevance to the point I am trying to make - ha! 

PS. I have far from achieved the optimum amount of stuff myself. It is not easy - but I am trying to work on it steadfastly - albeit gradually! (my weakness is gear - for the outdoors, for fishing, sailing, camping, trekking, gardening and of course books!)






No comments:

Post a Comment