Thursday 30 April 2015

#SouthAmerica Cusco Peru

I am now in Cusco - a city of 400k - famous because it was the Inca capital - now a UNESCO world heritage site. Cusco stands at 3400m 11150 feet - so high. There is chill in the air despite the sun. It is easy to become breathless walking up the hills. Cusco has a really lovely feel about it.

I am in Cusco for a pause before starting the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu in 2 days time. This gives me the chance for some much needed altitude acclimatisation ( I am concerned it is not enough having just returned from the low jungle) and to do a day tour of the Inca Sacred Valley.

I am going to write a lot about the Incas in my next blog. However a very quick summary of Cusco - as I have said it was the Inca capital - where the Inca royal family and nobility lived and from where they controlled their vast empire. Consequently there are many Inca sites. However when the Spanish invaders came to Cusco in 1532 they destroyed and robbed much of the Inca heritage and built in the Spanish style as a way of domination.

I attach a few photos :-

Basilica Menor de la Merced

Main St!

Magnificent Corte of Justice

Temple de Santo Dominigo built deliberately and subsequently rebuilt (earthquakes) on an Inca palace. See below

See the lower tier Inca foundations which have withstood the earth quakes.

Plaza de Armas the main square too in Inca time. Magnificent Statue of the Incas.

Cusco Cathedral started in 1559 and built on the Inca Temple Kiswarkancha

View of the main square - Plaza de Armas





No comments:

Post a Comment