Saturday 26 November 2016

#Bangkok 2nd Day Floating Market etc Thailand PT 8

An early start. I have booked a half day visit to the “ floating market”. I have no idea if there is more than one floating market in Bangkok but it is a popular tour and actually turned out to be excellent value given I only paid 320 BHT - about £8. That said it was a longer mini bus ride out of Bangkok than I expected and it turned out to be very much on the tourist trail and disappointingly primarily for tourists. Like on so many occasions however if you make the best of it there is something useful to be gained and enjoyed.

To start I had a good opportunity to see 4outer Bangkok. It is a well developed city - masses of commercial activity and no ghettos that I could see. Well ordered traffic. All very flat land too.

The floating market is on a series of canals which are buzzing with an incredible number of longtails and a lesser number of smaller paddle boats. The markets origin is in fishing and we were shown plenty of “ fishermens houses” but not much evidence of nets or fish I have to say.

The market is huge - but set mainly on floating pontoons. The focus is mainly clothes and memorabilia tat but the saving grace was the food. The food was genuine and colourful. I really enjoyed watching food being prepared by Thai ladies sat stationary in their little boats surrounded with everything they needed. Wok - burner  - all the ingredients - chopping and rolling boards - and very quick agile hands. Great to see and some nice photos below.














No comments:

Post a Comment