Friday 11 November 2016

#Thailand PT2

In August I decided to visit Thailand - somewhere I have never been. (see blog Thailand PT1 25th August). Since then King Bhumibol Adulyadej has passed away. He died on 13th October and this most revered King will be mourned for a year. This may or may not have some impact on travel but the recommendation is still come. There is a recommendation to wear dark clothes and be respectful. Of course I will.

The format I will follow is one I have tried and enjoyed on earlier travels. It will be done on a tight budget - I will stay in low cost hostels, eat street food and use public transport. This is not just about money - I think it is the best way to see any country rather than be cossetted in western style hotels and be chaperoned everywhere. Most of my trip has been pre planned and pre booked. I prefer to do this - I believe it is safer and more efficient for a lone traveller (touchwood). I like using Hostelworld, Seat 61, Lonely Planet and to some extent Trip Advisor. It is amazing what you can achieve by pre planning and research from the comfort of your desk top!

My plan as usual is to keep moving - nowhere for more than 3 nights. Of course this whistle stop approach has disadvantages but for me the journey is very important and I am not looking for a leisurely holiday - but to see the sights and smells and meet the people. I also like to research the nature of the politics, the economy and to some extent the history of the place I am visiting. Where is Thailand heading?

I fly out tomorrow on an Air China flight via Beijing to Bangkok. I then take an immediate and short internal flight with Bangkok Airways - north to Thailand's second city Chiang Mai. Not far away is Doi Inthanon - Thailand's highest point (not very high) - and I have planned to trek there.

Thereafter I travel by train down to Bangkok for a few days before moving on to Koh Samui in the Thailand Sea by Lomprayah Ferry. My plan is then to cross to the Andaman coast and stay on one of the islands - before eventually getting back on the train.

I discovered by reading Seat 61 there is a good train service (and cheap) through Thailand into Malaysia. This is my plan - I see it as a bonus. I will not have the time to do Malaysia full justice but I will visit Kuala Lumpar and plan to get to the top of the Petronas Tower - once the highest building in the world. It is then back on the train for a couple of days in Singapore before flying out. (booking the train and getting my head around border crossings (which involves getting off the train - walking up the platform - going through border control - and I think getting back on the same train) has proved problematic and has yet to be sorted).

Anyway - that is roughly my plan. Hopefully it will go to plan and I will try and blog away with photographs as usual. As usual I am very much looking forward to it - it should be fascinating - but also as usual there is a sense of - a sense of what? - nervousness - anxiety - perhaps - but all the better for that. So fingers crossed - touch wood - and everything else! I consider myself very lucky to be able to undertake such a trip and always mindful of my dear late parents - who never had the opportunity to travel abroad at all. xxxxxxxxxxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment