Monday 28 November 2016

#PetronasTower Kuala Lumpur Malaysia PT1

My desk top plan put together thousands of miles away on the Isle of Wight was to get to Singapore and fly back via a short stop over in Kuala Lumpur the capital of Malaysia. Originally I had in mind doing the whole journey by train. In the end I decided rightly or wrongly that it was unrealistic because of time and logistics but also because of uncertainty. In the end I decided to fly. A cheap short haul flight with Air Asia. Ko Lanta does not have an airport. Back to Krabi was an option but it seemed to be a better option to fly from the neighbouring island of Phuket - Thailand's largest island.
The ferry ride to Phuket was really lovely. There was a stop at Koh Phi Phi which looked really spectacular. Phuket has a reputation for being very touristy and full on. Both islands suffered majorly from the Boxing Day 2004 Tsunami. Many were killed and much devastation set back the Thai economy badly. It is worth reading about. Shocking.

I allowed plenty of time for the crossing because I did not want to miss my flight. As it turned out it went like clockwork and I had time to kill on Phuket. I went to the nearest beach instead of the airport for a few hours and I could see nothing negative about the part of Phuket I saw -  but true it is built up to a greater extent than the other two islands I have seen but the beach was wonderful and the sea seemed pristine.

I am not generally a nervous flyer - there was no turbulence but there was initially incredible lightening in the surrounding sky as we left Phuket. Anyway I get to Kuala Lumpur the high rise capital city of Malaysia.

Again I have limited time. My plan was always to go up the Petronas Twin Towers - the land mark building amongst many sky scrapers. From 1998 to 2004 they were the highest buildings in the world and remain the highest twin towers in the world. Petronas is the leading private/public oil and gas company company of Malaysia and well known for its F1 sponsorship.

You would think it would be straightforward to find such a building - I use the slick metro. I am in the right vacinity. Have you ever read the short story - it might be by Roald Dahl. A wife murders her husband by hitting him over the head with a frozen leg of lamb. She plays innocent. The detective arrives. She has a roast in the oven. He admits to being starving. It will only go to waste she says. He utters as he is tucking in - we must find the murder weapon  - it must be here somewhere near - probably right under our noses.

Anyway so I have exited the station straight into an incredible most luxurious shopping mall. It is like the coliseum - every big brand name in the world must be there. It is heaving with people - many Muslims - Malaysia is a Muslim country. Bizarrely it is very much Christmas in the air. The place is decked out with the whole Christmas decor. I digress. How do I find the Petronas Towers. I ask. You have guessed. I am already there. The shopping mall is the base.

Tickets for the top are expensive and in limited numbers but I get one. About £20. Initially it is to the 42 second floor - the 750 ton bridge that joins the two towers. Apparently it it not fixed but can move as the twins towers flex - a bit like the join between railway carriages. We walk across it. Then 2 more lifts to get to the 86th floor. Stating the obvious the views are spectacular. It was a cheap thrill maybe but I am glad I did it. It was enjoyable and memorable and felt special.

Some mob photos below.


Landing Kuala Lumpur






On the bridge - 42nd floor.

A small part of the shopping mall.























No comments:

Post a Comment