Friday 1 August 2014

Personal running targets

I am writing this particular blog this morning to assist my own personal motivation. Putting my target to paper - even in public (even if nobody reads it - ha!) seems like a positive thing to do - and a commitment.

In the period leading up to my 60th birthday in June I gave quite a lot of thought about the impending decade have a strong sense of positivity and I have always believed in targets or lets say goals.

Several of my family are into running and it has served as a prompt to me. I have decided to have a go again.

In my early 30's I did quite a few half marathons - my best time was 1hr 29mins in the Harrow half marathon but I have never done a marathon and was reconciled to that. The time commitment in training for a marathon is huge and long distance running left me with dead legs on the squash court and I didn't want that.

However my children have grown up now, squash is not so important and I have the time. Last year I rather fell into doing the Istanbul 15K and staggered around in 1hr 37mins. My training had not been very thorough but I really enjoyed the run. My stamina felt pretty good but my legs started to seize in the last couple of miles. I can plod! One thing that I did notice and is very significant for me is subsequently my knees have felt freer - when one of my biggest concerns was asking my knees to do too much and possibly damaging them.

Anyway I have bitten the bullet and entered the Great West Run in October 14 and the Paris Marathon in April 15. I have shaped it to fit in with several other major undertakings. In June 14 I climbed Kilimanjaro with my brother, in November 14 I have signed up for a 20 day trek to Everest Base Camp via Gokyo Lakes and in May 15 I am attempting the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.

Back to the running. Last week I did 4 runs of about 2 miles. I am aware that I should be conscious of my age and particularly that there are some risks involved - so I have tried a gentle introduction even if I consider my general aerobic fitness to be very good for my age. Again my stamina seemed ok but speed was non existent.

This week I have started a 12 week beginners half marathon plan downloaded from the internet as a gift from one of my sons. It requires you run 4 days a week. I have just done the big run for the week - a measured 3 miles. I did it ok - in fact really enjoyed it. My time was 29 mins 23 secs - so 10 minute miles.

So with focus on the Great West Run and Paris Marathon I set myself target times. (I know I could plod around but there would not be too much satisfaction in that). So - they are 2 hours for the half and 4 hours for the marathon. There I have said it. It is down in writing.

My thoughts now are I should be able to do the half marathon distance. Can I do it in an average of 9 minute miles. I have done it at under 7 but that was over 25 years ago and almost two stone lighter. I shall see but I think it is possible especially as I am likely to shed some weight.

So there - I have made a commitment. I am in training. I shall keep myself posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment