Wednesday 13 August 2014

Strawberry plants (my little Tamagotchi's)

I had a lovely couple of couple of hours up on my allotment yesterday. Much needed rain had really softend the soil but it was still friable and warm. There was a strong warm wind too - but some shelter and otherwise very quiet.

My Tamagotchi's were looking a bit sad and it was the right time to give them the little attention these faithful little characters need from time to time. I have a bed of them - 3/4's full. Originally I paid 50p for a box of them as a give away at the end of a local fare. This must be 3 years ago now. I quickly planted them in some ground I had prepared on my new (at that time) allotment.

Every summer since they have produced some great strawberries - and not only that - they produce runners which mean at the end of every season you get some extra plants. In due course my 3/4 full patch will be full.

I think my strawberries are my favourites. They are enthusiastic and non complaining. They hold their ground against invasive weeds. They are hardy and come again in the spring without prompting. They don't need much looking after. Yesterday I spent time down on my knees clearing out the weeds and debris - but it was easy going.  It is very satisfying to see what has been accomplished at the end of the session. Individual little faces are defined again - the patch looks tidy. Affection is borne out of them having recently produced a crop of spectacular red dynamic fruit which comes in all sizes over a relatively short period. Picking them is great fun because they are brilliant at hiding away their red treasures. I go through the patch. Pick the ripe ones. Look again from another angle - and there are some more! Friends and family think you must be a great gardener to produce such a luxuriant crop - but actually they are the easiest to grow. Faithful little friends who will reward a little effort by coming again next year around the same time.

PS although you can now buy strawberries in the supermarket relatively cheaply all year round - they are definitely not the same or anything like as good. Mine are seasonal of course (and all the better for that ) and totally organic and natural - nurtured on hand placed horse manure and comfry liquid. No wonder they taste so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment