Saturday 30 August 2014

Running update

I now have a Garmin running watch (Forerunner 10) with built in GPS. It keeps a record of my running activity. A very clever device that cost about £70.

This is what it tells me about the week past. Between 22nd and 29th August I ran on 6 days totalling 28.38 miles. My fastest run was 4.1 miles at 9.48 minutes per mile. My longest run - 7.1 miles (cross country) took 1 hour 23 minutes and therefore 11.43 minutes per mile! The Garmin also tells me I burnt 3342 calories through my runs.

I did the long run yesterday late afternoon along bridleways and fields in the main. There were quite a few hills and no people. One hour 23 minutes of plodding running gives you plenty of time to think. This was my thought process.

Initially I was a reluctant runner. Excuses kept coming into my head. The main one was I am a fool. Am I making myself look a fool. Why start training for a half marathon after your 60th birthday. What are you trying to prove? What is the point giving yourself a hard time. Am I risking my health. Do others feel I am in denial about my age - trying to deny the years in a vain attempt to be young!

But I got going - a nice long uphill - Ferniclose - I felt better - positive. By counter thoughts - look you are doing this for yourself. Deep down you love the challenge. There will be a great feeling at the end of it. Actually you are beginning to move ok. Why not go for it - but don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure - just enjoy it for what it is.

So this is where I am now. I am training for this half marathon for me. It is my little challenge in my little head. Relax about times. Doing the training and getting round without stopping is the goal - it will be a personal achievement and something to be satisfied about. Hopefully there will be more times of joy during the actual running - I had a short period of it yesterday. Over half way through the run - crossing a massive open field - lovely springy turf - big sky - light drizzle - slight downhill and going ok - knowing I was doing it - hadn't bottled it. Great stuff!

The run up to my garden gate was a very satisfying feeling. Sat outside breathing heavily. From now on all pleasure. Pleased with myself. A hot bath. A long soak with a big mug of tea. Radio on. Smarten up - a couple of pints of Ruddles in Wetherspoons with James. Friday fish and chips from Nemos - feeling very relaxed. A good nights sleep. Excellent.

More curiously - I woke this morning and the first thing that came into my head was I wouldn't mind going for a run today - amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment