Sunday 24 August 2014

Putting it in the "Early Morning Bank"

Exercise can be pleasurable but usually the process is hard. For me at least the pleasure - or perhaps satisfaction comes after the exercise when you have that lovely feeling - tiredness and smugness - ha!

Smugness - that is a bit harsh on myself. What I mean is I am pleased with myself. Why? Don't you find when there is the prospect of hard individual exercise sessions ( excluding competitive games ) there is an argument going on in your head. You are laying in bed, or sitting in the armchair or just got home from work - you know you should go for a run. Your head is saying - I don't really feel like it. I did a session not long ago. I shouldn't be so hard on myself. Have a good dinner and relax etc etc. But your self conscious is also saying -you know it will be beneficial to go for a run. You know you will feel better after it. You know if you don't go you will feel you have cheated yourself - let yourself down.

There is only one answer - you have got to go!

Personally I like to exercise early in the morning. It is like putting money in the bank. If you end up being weak willed for the rest of the day - it is not a disaster - you are drawing on what you put in earlier. You are not overdrawn - ha! My experience is if you have been indulgent during the day it becomes very hard to put something in the exercise bank later! Definitely the less you do the less you feel like doing.

One final thought. The easiest way to exercise and certainly the most enjoyable is playing competitive games because you exercise without knowing it. You don't think about exercise in the middle of a squash match - you do going for a run or doing a gym session. (as an aside I cannot understand the popularity of using the gym - not a particularly healthy environment with all that sweat and of course vanity in the air!)

No comments:

Post a Comment