Thursday 25 September 2014

#Heron watching

Today's early morning bike ride along the sea wall was especially lovely. It was dead still - high pressure - a slight chill in the air - early autumn. There was no one around much - the tide was 3/4's out - with the mass of Ryde sands exposed. The sea birds were in heaven - probably thousands were on the shoreline - doing what they do.

I got out on Ryde Harbour wall - my daily terminus - and stood as they quite often are - off the Ryde Harbour entrance margins - fishing (I assume) were a couple of Herons - in fact today a line of 4 - equally spaced - statuesque - unmoving - except for when then move - lightening quick but so smooth and deliberate.

The sun was coming up and warming - not a ripple on the mirror water - sat on my bike I propped my foot against the bench and watched them.

Minutes went by - these exotic fascinating birds had my full attention. Herons still seem special - although they are not really uncommon. I don't know much about them - was this a family of 4 - mum and dad and 2 kids. Were they a flock - or did 4 just happen to be there because the fishing was good. How many fish do they need to catch in a day. Do they ever get cold. Do they ever get bored. Where do they go at night?

Watching the Herons was like fishing myself. The same sense of anticipation. Would a fish swim by. Would the strike be in time. Will there be a catch. Will it be a decent one?

In the 10 or 15 minutes I was there - not a single fish was caught - in fact not a single strike was made - just some some careful adjustments made with their long elegant necks and a very occasional step on those almost unseen legs.

If I was Heron - I am pretty sure Ryde Sands was a good place to be this morning despite the slow fishing?

I would like to know more about a Heron's habits and lifestyle. Will I ever get around to it. Possibly not - something else will crop up - but maybe I will find the time.

Grey Heron's you were especially captivating this morning - thank you for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment