Tuesday 23 September 2014

Squash league match

Played my 3rd league match last night and got beaten 3 - 0. It was not as bad as it sounds - so bit of analysis.

First of all I have not played since my last game a fortnight ago as holiday intervened. In the past I would not have let that happen - if you are going to play squash leagues you have to play at least twice a week and probably 3 to do yourself any justice.

I went on court with a bit of an excuse ready in my head - not good. Additionally my sensible head told me not to push it anyway. While I have been doing some running, getting into a squash slugging match at 60 without proper preparation is a bit daft.

Anyway I played quite well from the back of the court - but the young guy I was playing was keen as mustard and just the wrong sort of opponent for me on this night. Basically he ran down everything - threw himself around and scrambled a lot of points. It was disjointed and his winners seemed to come off all parts of his racket.

He was a nice guy though - fair - and I enjoyed the sweat and the club banter - so lots of positives.

I have 2 more matches to play in this league - I should stay up and there is still an outside chance of promotion (which I know I am not ready for yet but would be extra satisfying).

Hopefully I can prepare better for next week - it is just the half marathon training that is getting in the way - but then without it would I really be better off?

No comments:

Post a Comment