Tuesday 2 September 2014

Squash - and momentum in sport

Last night I played my first League squash match for probably 10 years or more. Why? Well I am a squash player - owned a squash club for 8 years, was a qualified coach and love the game - played club and inter club matches for years.

However because of  a change of access to squash leagues, enjoying playing other sports with my family and pursuing other interests, squash took more of a back seat. However a combination of my offspring increasingly doing their own thing, watching the brilliant squash matches at the recent Commonwealth Games and a yearning for real and wholesome competition - I put my name down and have rejoined.

There are 9 leagues of 7 at my local club. I was put in League 2 - there is League 1 and the Premier League above.

I prepared quite well for last nights game. Had a short knock up in the morning and a bit of a swim. I thought about food - had a decent lunch and something late afternoon - but didn't want to go on court at 7.40 either bloated or hungry. I had a hot bath at 5 to warm up my legs, did some stretches and got to the club at 7 - neither too early or late.

It was a bit daunting to walk back into the Club I have not been to for such a long time - mainly because I am 60 now - so potentially daft to be playing again. Many familiar faces still playing but a lot I didn't know. We had a laugh - someone said can I pinch you - I thought you were dead - someone asked if I was making a comeback - someone quickly said to make a comeback you have to have been there first - charming!

I meet my opponent. He seems a bit nervous - probably mid 30's and fit. We knock up on court - I can see he is a bit of a slasher. His racket grip means his racket face is too closed on the forehand and too open on his backhand. This typically means forehands go low to the front wall and probably miss hits on his backhand. He hits it hard.

I win the serve. Serve to his backhand - a slash and a misshit. This pattern follows. I feel in a zone and concentrating well. He loses points rapidly without me doing much other than keeping the ball deep and staying in front. He seems inexperienced - mumbles about this is embarrassing. I win the first game and keep the pressure on and win the second game. The momentum is mine.

I think I relax - not deliberately. I am relieved I have not made a fool of myself. Two games is fine - but I would like to win the third of course and win the match but it is not crucial to me - perhaps it should be.

In the third game he gets going. A few loose shots work out well for him. Momentum starts going his way. I am conscious of it but cannot get any intensity. He wins the third too easily - but I haven't spent too much energy - still feel strong. I go off court for a drink - he stays on court and knocks up hard. I decide to stay with my game - just hang in their and hopefully he will make mistakes.

The 4th game is better from my point of view but he is on a streak. I need more intensity. I am too relaxed. He likes it if I hit it hard and has worked out I am slow getting to the front. Momentum is his definitely.

So a final game the 5th. This should be his if for no other reason than fitness. How do I get back into it? How do break his momentum?

I won the 5th game - how? Mainly he lost it. He went 7-2 up. I felt I was basically playing quite good squash - but he was making far fewer mistakes and his grip makes it awkward for his opponent when the mistakes do not come. 7-2 up it is yours to win - you only need 2 more points to win the match. It is also yours to lose. A turning point - I suddenly feel in tune again. I win a decent rally to serve. I serve and he slashes. I am sure it because he is thinking about the winning post. His confidence is fragile perhaps? He is a streak player? Suddenly I feel momentum. He is losing it. A great tussle. 8 all. We exchange serves - all out now. A battle. I get a break for 9-8 but lose the next serve but win back the serve again. A 10 shot tiring rally - I lob from the front left to back right and he tins it!

So my first league match for years a 3-2 win.

So how do I feel about it. Well this was basement level squash. The match meant nothing to anyone else but me and my opponent. It was not dramatic or interesting to anyone else really. But it did mean something. Making it a league match gave it an edge and an importance. Squash - gladiatorial chess - ha! It was a proper challenge. As such I loved it - got a great deal from it. Really enjoyed it. Very satisfying indeed. I feel quietly proud of myself. Chuffed. I am glad I had a break but hopefully I can have a few more years at it now. I can't wait for next weeks game.

A final thought - momentum in sport. It is a most peculiar psychological thing. Matches have ebb and flow. What changes. Why does one team suddenly get on top - and it reverses. Why a surge - why an ebb. It definitely happens. All top sportsman talk about playing one point at a time, being in the zone, not thinking about the winning line. It is so true. We see it at Wimbledon - see it in golf- last minute equalisers in football. It is so hard to get over the winning line. You are always in with a chance. The German's know it especially against the English! This is why all top sportsmen now have sports psychologists as part of their back up. They have to iron out the inconsistencies - to always be in the zone. Power of positive thinking. Confidence. Self belief. Channelling aggression and desire.Weight of personality. Very subtle. Very hard to achieve on the sports field.

No comments:

Post a Comment